Monday, March 28, 2016

Patchwork Paradise by Indra Vaughn

Title: Patchwork Paradise
Author:  Indra Vaughn
My Rating: A

Genre: Contemporary Romance (m/m)
Series: -
Main Characters: Oliver and Thomas
Release Date: March 2016
Publisher: Riptide Publishing
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
Oliver and Samuel’s relationship is fairy-tale perfect. They share a gorgeous house in Antwerp, go out with their friends every weekend, and count down the days to their dream wedding. But their happy ending is shattered one late night, and just like that, Ollie is left bereft and alone.

The months that follow are long and dark, but slowly Ollie emerges from his grief. He even braves the waters of online dating, though deep down he doesn’t believe he can find that connection again. He doesn’t think to look for love right in front of him: his bisexual friend Thomas, the gentle giant with a kind heart and sad eyes who’s wanted him all along.

When Thomas suddenly discovers he has a son who needs him, he’s ill prepared. Ollie opens up his house—Sam’s house—and lets them in. Ollie doesn’t know what scares him more: the responsibility of caring for a baby, or the way Thomas is steadily winning his heart. It will take all the courage he has to discover whether or not fairy tales can happen for real.
 

My Review:
Be prepared, this is one of those books. I spent the first half of the book crying (like seriously, tears were rolling down my face), but that probably won't surprise you too much if you read the story description. The good news about all that crying is that the author completely immersed me into these men's lives. What happened to them mattered to me...a LOT. They hurt, I hurt to read about it.

But that isn't the end of the story. This is one of those books that's filled with hope. When things are at their absolute worst, that isn't the end. It will get better. You just have to have faith, get up, and keep moving. No matter how painful it feels at the time. And it is so painful for Oliver throughout so much of this book. 

I loved that the author showed exactly how much Oliver and Sam were in love before the tragedy happened. It made all those events so much more in my mind as the reader. It was a blow to me and made the consequential story mean so much more. 

But the other side of this is Thomas, who the reader doesn't see in back story. Thomas was one of the friends in this close-knit group. He's a bit of a bi-sexual manwhore who's always sleeping with someone new. But it wasn't obvious for so long in this book exactly why he is that way. When it comes out, my heart simply tore for him. But the fact that he's stuck with this group for so long...even in the periphery...shows just what a great character he is. I loved him. 

But it's serious Murphy's Law that when Thomas and Oliver FINALLY connect, Milo is suddenly there, throwing EVERYONE out of whack. Those first scenes with him kept me smiling. So many sweet moments and those allowed these men to really connect in a different way than the norm...no sex for so long just because they couldn't. That really worked for me with the relationship development.

And then there's the whole support cast of characters. Milo...I loved him and the way that Oliver's mom stepped into the situation. I loved her so much and how she only wants what's best for Oliver. She is the voice of reason throughout all the craziness in this one and I loved her for it. 

It was simply one of those books that made me happy that I'm a reader. Yes, it absolutely was an emotional roller-coaster, but it ended in the happiest place and I finished reading it with a smile on my face. I loved it and highly recommend it!

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: