Friday, March 4, 2016

Acapulco Nights by K.J.Gillenwater

Title: Acapulco Nights
Author: K.J. Gillenwater
My Rating: B-


Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: -
Main Characters: Suzie
Release Date: September 2015
Publisher: -
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: mild

Story Overview:
ACAPULCO NIGHTS was a Write Affair finalist (Kensington Books) on Wattpad as an "Editor's Pick."

Suzie's fiancé, James, is pressuring her to pick a day for their wedding. She's cancelled three dates, and he's starting to wonder if she really wants to get married. But how does she go about telling her fiancé that she's already married to a man in Mexico? She needs a divorce, and she needs one fast. Her marriage has been a secret from her best friend, Janice, her fiancé, even her own mother, and she wants to keep it that way.

When Janice asks her to come along on an all-girl vacation to Acapulco, Suzie leaps at the chance. A search on the Internet gives Suzie all the information she needs to track down her husband, Joaquin, while out of the country and finally get that divorce.

Unfortunately, Joaquin won't give her up so easily.

When James appears in Acapulco unexpectedly, all hell breaks loose, and Suzie stands to lose everything she's ever loved.

My Review:
This is a mixed review...just because this is a tough book for me. I read it all the way and never really considered DNF'ing the book because the book is definitely engaging. I was caught up in the story and wanted to know how everything would play out and what exactly has happened over the years. The book is told in a series of flashbacks as well as current time for the book.

This is the story of Suzie. The book takes place during her ten-day trip to Acapulco with her best friend Janice. When they were in college, they spent a semester in Mexico studying and Suzie secretly dated Joaquin...also marrying him...in secret. Something she's never told anyone since she left 12 years ago. Now she has her fiance, James, who really wants her to set a date for their marriage, but she has to get a divorce first. And she has no plans to ever let James know the truth about why she's waffled for years over this. 

And this is where I'm torn. I understand why Suzie hasn't ever told James. He was in another serious relationship where the woman cheated on him, so he has trust issues. I get that...I don't agree with her methods, but I understood why. 

Overall my issue with Suzie in this book wasn't her relationship with the guys...and that shocks me because I'm not usually a big fan of triangle relationships. My problem with her was over her friendship with Janice. She doesn't respect her friend and that bugs me. It comes through in little comments...like talking about her friend's "stick legs." But it also comes through in that for years, Suzie has never come clean with her friend. When she was 19 I could see why she would lie...a lack of maturity. But there are so many lies and little deceitful things that she does during this trip and that she did back then that were just hurtful. I just don't understand it. And that goes both ways. Janice immediately does something to Suzie when she finds out about the marriage that's just wrong...no matter how much she hurt. It just felt really jr. high-ish.

I also never really connected with either of the guys. The book is told entirely from Suzie's pov so there was never a chance to get to know them. There was never a point where I felt strongly about which guy I wanted her to end up with...and that doesn't feel right, although this was definitely a story about Suzie's journey. That being said though, I adored the ending. I thought it was fabulously done and worked really well with the overall story. It felt right. 

So kind of a mixed review. My recommendation (since triangle relationships are not my favorite) is that if the story line appeals to you, read the sample on Amazon and then make a decision from there, because the author does know how to write an engaging book. It just maybe wasn't the perfect book for me to read of hers.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: