Monday, February 1, 2016

Pain Slut by J.A. Rock

Title: Pain Slut
Author: J.A. Rock
My Rating: B

Genre: Erotic Romance (m/m)
Series: Subs Club #2
Main Characters: Drix and Miles
Release Date: February 2016
Publisher: Riptide Publishing
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: erotic

Story Overview:
Honestly, I’m ready to take a step back from the Subs Club. Making the kink world a safer place for subs is the sort of bandwagon I’d have boarded as an idealist in my early twenties, but now I’m a pragmatist in my late twenties. I prefer to focus on adopting and raising a child.

But unexpected factors inevitably derail my plans. Like Drix Seger—attractive and the first genuine sadist I’ve encountered. If I were not in the process of renouncing my masochistic ways and becoming the normal, responsible potential father the adoption agency wants to see, Drix and I might do well together.

But he has a foolish name and belongs to a cult of vampyres, and I am quitting kink. So why does Drix’s infatuation with blood and biting make me so hot I can’t think straight? And why, when he looks at me, does he seem to see something beyond a basket case with a stick up my ass?

Can I start a new phase in my life without leaving part of myself behind? Please send help.

—Miles

My Review:
Umm, I had to look and see if there were warnings on this one. There's not, but you may want to take note...if you're squeamish or things squick you out, you may not want to read this one. Miles is a hardcore masochist. He likes pain...a lot. Like pain that results in blood and maybe scarring. So, now you've been warned. 

And I'll admit, while I read a lot of masochist/sadist stuff, I truly don't get it. That's where this book is really pretty good, because it does explain a lot of it. For Miles, he's a masochist. He likes pain, but he's not truly a submissive. He does not get off on giving up control. That was an interesting dichotomy to this story...and honestly, I'm not sure how much of that fact Miles wasn't even aware of until he met Drix. 

Drix is not part of the BDSM scene, but he is part of the vampyre scene which is also a little...weird. He pretends he's a vampire. No, he doesn't drink blood, but his practices as a vampyre seemed to be a mix of wiccan and yoga...he feeds off other's souls...oh, and he wears a lot of black and his real teeth have been filed to create fangs. And he does like to make Miles bleed.

It's all a bit...odd. And to make the mix of story even more bizarre, Miles is trying to adopt a child and has decided to do so that he has to give up the masochism, despite knowing it's something that he "needs". AND there's still the Subs Club, the four men who have banded together in the interest of educating subs on how to be safe so that no one dies like Hal did.

I had a hard time connecting with Miles as a character. Nothing was wrong with the story per se, but he just never made much sense to me...and that went beyond the whole sadist/masochist thing. To me, he just doesn't make much sense in the whole group of the Subs Club. He's supposed to be this staid, closed off guy (with a really kinky side), but then his group of friends seem so young and immature. I just couldn't make that work in my mind. Then there's the whole thing about his masochism...he wants to give it up so he won't raise a child in that lifestyle, but then he turns around and says that masochism isn't a choice...it's a need inside a person that simply doesn't make sense to most people.

I had a hard time with all that, especially in that I really liked Drix and Miles together. Honestly, I think I would have liked this book a lot more if it had been told outside the parameters of the Subs Club and the issues going on there. 

So...a mixed bag for me on this one. I feel like I've been all over the place with this review. Overall, I did like the romance and how things were simply "right" between Drix and Miles. I loved that Drix isn't part of the scene, but he gets what Miles needs. They work together really well. Drix was just never truly aware of how much he needed to plug into that sadist within until he met Miles.

Also, note, never once did I not enjoy the story. I truly did enjoy reading the story while I read it. It was just after the fact that I began to question some of the details about how this all worked for Miles. 

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: