Saturday, February 20, 2016

Breathe You In by Joya Ryan (audiobook)

Title: Breathe You In
Author: Joya Ryan
My Rating: A-
Narrator: Cristina Panfilio

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: A Sweet Torment #1
Main Characters: Roman and Amy
Release Date: March 2014 (audiobook)
Publisher: Brilliance Audio
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
Amy Underwood is passionate about her dream of opening a new drug treatment center, but finding the funds hasn't been easy. Desperate, she sneaks into the biggest political event of the year. But she quickly discovers that in the fast-paced world of politics, everything—and everyone—has a price.

Roman Reese, the disarmingly sexy governor of New York, is learning that his privileged past could destroy his blue-collar support base—and ruin his political future. He needs to find a down-to-earth girlfriend to win the voters’ hearts during his second election. Someone sweet and innocent. Someone like Amy.

The moment Amy and Roman meet, sensual sparks fly between them. Experienced in more than just politics, Roman suavely strikes a deal, asking Amy to be his pretend girlfriend until the moment the polls close. But business becomes breathtakingly passionate pleasure when Roman leads Amy into his bed on an erotic journey. Their unbridled passion could lead to true love…until betrayal threatens to tear them apart forever

My Review:
Overall.... 4.25
Performance... 4.75

Story.... 4.00

The narrator on this...wow, she is absolutely fabulous. She was able to emote with her voice inflections so well. This is a fairly emotional book and she did an outstanding job with the voices. I loved her and this is my first audiobook that I've listened to by her. (I plan to check out what else she's narrated.)

I'll be honest...I have no idea why or when I picked up this audiobook. I've had it for a while and pulled it out of my tbr pile on a whim. I was so pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the story. 

When the book begins, it's obvious that Amy has some history that has left her a bit of a wounded creature, but I was surprised as the story went on just how wounded Roman was too. I loved that she pulls emotions out of him that he never planned to experience. She disarms him and he never quite knows what to do with her. He has a very definite plan for how she'll fit into his life, but she pushes outside those parameters at every single turn and I loved that about her and their relationship.

On the surface, Roman is the guy who has it all sorted out. He's the governor of New York. He has a highly successful career and is on the way to getting reelected. Amy is an intern just hoping to get the job and repay society for the loss of her sister, who died of an overdose. Amy's passion is working with addicts to enable their recovery. 

Both these characters have some serious familial issues. Amy has skeletons in her closet. Gah...I couldn't stand her parents. How could any parent do that to their child? And I know it happens and I know that this is how I was supposed to react to them, but the unfairness of how they treated her broke my heart. She is such a good person. That's so obvious in everything she does. Then there is Roman. His backstory with his mother was as shocking as it was heartbreaking. The best scene in this book though was when his mother reached out to Amy at the end...gah, so emotional. 

I really did enjoy everything about this one. The narrator was so good. I highly recommend it on audio, but will definitely be checking out more of Joya Ryan's work (and Cristina Panfilio's narration) in the near future.



No comments: