Tuesday, January 12, 2016

My Best Friend's Stepfather by Opal Carew

Title: My Best Friend's Stepfather
Author: Opal Carew
My Rating: C

Genre: Erotic Romance 
Series
Main Characters: Ash, Dare, and Adam
Release Date: January 2016
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: erotic

Story Overview:
She’s always craved his touch…even though it’s forbidden.

When Ash is assigned her first feature as a reporter, it should have been simple: interview a real life Dominant for an article about BDSM. But her subject is none other than Darien Gallagher, her best friend’s stepfather…and it’ll be an interview she never forgets.

What started for Dare as a lesson in sensual domination suddenly has become so much more. He can't deny the spark between them, even though he knows she’s completely off limits. With every seductive word, every lesson, Dare tests Ash's resolve and pushes her boundaries. But at the same time, her boss Adam has her craving things she shouldn’t.

While Ash finds herself dreaming of both men, a dark secret threatens to destroy everything. But how can she hold onto a relationship that isn’t even real?
 
My Review:
I don't even know where to start this review. Up front, I was not a fan of this book. There were moments during reading it that it had hope and it was those moments that kept me reading even as I considered DNF'ing it. In the end, I read it all and then wished that I really hadn't wasted my time.

So, first, what I did like:
* this is an erotic romance and the sex is hot. There is lots of sex in this book and every scene is pretty darn good. Note: this is considered a BDSM book, but personally, that was a negative to the book. The BDSM consists just of the Dom ordering the sub around (i.e. suck his cock or bend over) and some light spanking. Definitely NOT erotic level BDSM. But even with that, the sex scenes were good and steamy. The author writes good sexual chemistry.
* I liked the back story between Adam and Dare and was really intrigued by that. I just wish it had been taken deeper because there was some good emotional conflict possibilities there that weren't fully realized.

And that brings us to what I didn't like:
* Ugh...Ash. Throughout so much of this book it felt like she was jerking both these guys around with her wishy washy emotions. There's a way to do menage without the heroine being weak. This was not that book. This heroine was spoiled in that she wanted it all and didn't want to give up anything, even if it meant hurting the heroes. That, I couldn't respect. 
*Helen should not have even been in this book. She's brought in to intensify the conflict, but all she did was weaken the storyline. She's a manipulative shrew and I couldn't respect Dare because he let her get away with it...and why? Because she was his step-daughter years and years ago. It didn't compute. He's supposed to be this big, bad Dom, but he lets his ex-step-daughter walk all over and manipulate him. 
*The ending. I was thrilled with the way the ending was setting up, but then the author again brought Helen into the mix and set it up so that these people would always have to deal with her manipulative nature. Why? Why? WHY? WTF? Am I the only one that felt like screaming and throwing my kindle at this point? I just don't get the author's reasoning here. No, just no. 

So, yeah, I really can't recommend this one. This was the first book I've read by this author, although I do have a couple of other books of hers in my TBR pile. I've heard she's really good, but this book just didn't work for me on so many levels. I'm hoping it was just an off book for her, but it may be that this just isn't an author for me.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: