Monday, January 25, 2016

Inversion Point by Jenn Burke and Kelly Jensen

Title: Inversion Point
Author: Jenn Burke and Kelly Jensen
My Rating: A

Genre: Sci Fir Romance (m/m)
Series: Chaos Station #4
Main Characters: Zed and Flick
Release Date: January 2015
Publisher: Carina Press
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
Zander and Felix's relationship has been to the brink and back: the Human-Stin War, imprisonment and an actual death/resurrection. Zander's death, to be specific, and the experience has left him…changed. The mysterious race known as the Guardians chose to revive him and appointed him as their emissary. A high honor, but he could do without the group of would-be cultists following him around the galaxy.
When a recently discovered species destroys a stin probe, Zander's new role soon commands all of his time and focus. The human ambassador—Felix's ex-lover, much to Zander's annoyance—pulls them into strategy talks aimed at preserving galactic peace. Soon everyone is relying on Zander's Guardian tech to telepathically communicate with the strange aliens.
Only Felix seems concerned with the strain piling up on Zander, but he has his own resolve tested when the very stin that imprisoned him show up to a summit. Zander and Felix will both have to find a way to face their doubts and preserve their love—while preventing another galaxy-wide war.
Book four of Chaos Station

70,000 words
My Review:
Every time i go into reading one of these books from this series, I think...'okay, the authors can't keep up that kind of intensity. This one will be easier for my heart.' But nope, every single time, they tear out my heart before putting it back together again. Kudos to the authors because I LOVE how they do that to me. 

In this book, Zed, Felix, and the crew of the Chaos are having to do an errand for the Guardians. The errand Zed was saved for...he's the emissary in charge of communicating with a new species to the system...whom are eventually named the Resonance. Of course, a new species means that all the political advances have to begin and the other three species have been invited along, too...just to make things really, really uncomfortable for everyone because they've all been at war at some point and what's life without a little conflict...or a LOT.

One of those species that's there is the Stin, including the particular stin who tortured and broke Flick over the course of the 4 years that he was a POW. But he's learned coping mechanisms which help, but then it everything gets completely out of control. 

First, I have to say I ADORE the Resonance. Although they are completely foreign, they are such a cool species. At first Zed is the only one that communicate with them and it's not a normal kind of communication...more like layers of images and emotions to create a full picture of what they're trying to say. It's not easy and is exhausting for him. But they are such a neat, excited, happy species, you can't help but fall in love with them. They call Flick, Zed's 'fluffy-yellow partner unit' and every single time that came on the page I smiled.  (And I really need those smiles because this is another emotionally traumatic book.)

And I have to just stop here and do a quick bow to the creative brilliance of the authors. I read these books and am never ever confused although there is a ton going on with super-creative worlds, species, and story lines. There's so much just pure brilliance to these stories. Creative...wow...that's all I can say...just so creative.

There's so much going on here with both Zed and Flick, but what never wavers is their love for one another...even when they aren't sure if that love is what's best for either of them. Because of that, this book had an incredible romantic, sweet feel to it. Zed and Flick connect deeper in this one than in any other book and that was so emotionally satisfying. I loved this book just because of what the events did to bring them closer. Yes, it's an incredibly hard journey for both of them, but they've proven over and over and over again at just how tough they both truly are. 

I've loved this series...and yes, this is a series that you need to read all the books. And I mean that...YOU NEED TO READ THIS SERIES. It's just so good and angst-filled, but then there's so much happiness and hope at the end of each book, I have to forgive the authors for the sobs I've cried in between the pages...and yes, I think I've sobbed while reading each of these books. 

The next book is the last in the series and I'm already mourning the passing of this amazing group of characters. Zed and Felix and the entire crew have come to be characters I've loved deeply. I don't want to let them go. 

(So, Carina Press...if you're reading this, I know you don't do it very often, but you have made a few exceptions over the years...It would be AWESOME if you brought this ENTIRE series out in print. I want it for my keeper shelf to read over and over and over again.)

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: