Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Extreme Honor by Piper J. Drake

Title: Extreme Honor
Author: Piper J. Drake
My Rating: B

Genre: Military Romance
Series: True Heroes #1
Main Characters: David and Lyn
Release Date: January 2016
Publisher: Forever
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot


Story Overview:
David Cruz is good at two things: war and training dogs. The ex-soldier's toughest case is Atlas, a Belgian Malinois whose handler died in combat. Nobody at Hope's Crossing kennel can break through the animal's grief. That is, until dog whisperer Evelyn Jones walks into the facility . . . and into Atlas's heart. David hates to admit that the curvy blonde's mesmerizing effect isn't limited to canines. But when Lyn's work with Atlas puts her in danger, David will do anything to protect her.

Lyn realizes that David's own battle scars make him uniquely qualified for his job as a trainer. Tough as nails yet gentle when it counts, he's gotten closer to Atlas than anyone else-and he's willing to put his hard-wired suspicion aside to let her do the same. But someone desperate enough to kill doesn't want Lyn working with Atlas. Now only teamwork, trust, and courage can save two troubled hearts and the dog who loves them both . . .

My Review:
This was a fun read. Atlas is a famous dog in that he got some publicity after his handler was killed in action. The truth about all that is much more complex, and now Atlas is in mourning, so he's back at his original kennels for some retraining with David. 

Lyn is sent in by DOD to offer some training help to David, and this is where things were a little sketchy. David trains military dogs and is a former soldier. Lyn trains civilian dogs...it makes no sense for her to be brought into this situation. Now if the reverse were true, I could see it...it was just a minor plot glitch that just didn't quite work for me, no matter who Lyn's stepfather was...but again, that was really minor thing that kind of bugged me.

But what I did love about the book was the entire dog training process, the complex the guys own, and Atlas...gah, I love that dog and his bits of personality that slowly began to evolve and show through. When the story begins, the dog is depressed and doesn't respond to anyone, but he falls in love with Lyn and I loved that about him. I loved how he'd react whenever David got too close to her, and how the two alpha males reacted to one another when around her. 

I loved that Atlas was hiding a secret even if his secret was awful...and heartbreaking. There was a decent amount of suspense and intrigue to the story line and I'll admit to being surprised when it all played out because I thought I had a pretty good handle on where it was going. I was wrong...and I love it when that happens. 

And then there's the romance. This was pretty good. I liked David and Lyn, although there were times when their connection didn't feel as deep as I'd like. I also had issues with how much Lyn let her stepfather demean and demoralize her. I really thought she needed to stand up for herself more for me to respect her. In the end, they were fun characters to read and I did enjoy their romance overall. 

This was a decent start to the series. Like I said, I loved the kennels and what the three guys are doing there. I look forward to reading more in the series, because I liked the setup that was established in this one.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: