Saturday, December 12, 2015

Owning Corey by Maris Black (audiobook)

Title: Owning Corey
Author: Maris Black
My Rating: B
Narrator: J.F. Harding

Genre: Contemporary Romance (m/m)
Series: -
Main Characters: Corey and Ben
Release Date: July 2015 (audiobook)
Publisher: 
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: erotic

Story Overview:
WHEN introverted doctor Ben Hardy's high maintenance girlfriend wants to introduce a little more kink into their love life, he doesn't expect it to come in the form of the hunky EMT who just moved to Blackwood. Ben's not gay, but DAMN! He can definitely see why all the women turn to mush when the new guy's around. Baby blue eyes, flirtatious smile, body of an underwear model...

The prospect of being naked in the same room with him is horrifying. So why the hell is Ben actually considering it?

COREY Butler desperately needs to leave his shady past behind, and the microscopic town of Blackwood is just the place to do it. No drama, no danger, no sleeping under bridges... What he doesn't need is a huge crush on someone who's completely out of his league. When Dr. Hardy's gorgeous girlfriend propositions him for a threesome, he knows the smart thing would be to say no.

Of course it would. But then Corey's never been known for making smart decisions.

My Review:
Overall.... 3.75
Performance... 3.75

Story.... 3.5

This is a hard book to rate. Overall, I did enjoy it, but there were a few wtf moments. 

(First of all, you need to note that I "read" this book in audiobook and I'm not sure if all my reactions would have been the same if I had read the book, because the narrator definitely influences the characters voice.)

So...Corey...there were times when I loved him, his laissez faire attitude and his charming ways, but there were other times when he simply came across as skeevy and I had to wonder if this guy is a pure con artist. That's where I'm just not sure about the narration...because overall, Corey is a charming guy and the narrator used that voice for him, but that could have influenced the creepy feelings I got from him at times. 

Ben is the opposite. He's cold, withdrawn, and doesn't make interpersonal connections...until he meets Corey. Their chemistry is instantaneous and that helps to bring Ben out of his shell. And surprise...wow, he isn't straight after all. There are ways to make gay-for-you work. I'm not quite sure this book hit that mark perfectly. Just know, you'll have to go into this one willing to suspend a bit of disbelief...or maybe a lot...things got a bit weird and crazy toward the end with the side story lines. While I liked the added drama, it just seemed to be a bit too much and over the top for the black moment. 

I did not like the guys, especially Corey, using the women simply to make a point. Ugh...not hero material there, and that just motivated more of those skeevy, con-artist feelings about him. 

But when the two guys were together on their own, I liked them. I liked the fact that they seem to really mesh, whether as friends or eventually more. That attraction between them worked for me...because they do compliment one another really well. 

The narrator was pretty good. He did a better job on the first half than the second half in keeping Ben and Corey's inflections and voices completely different. But I will say I thought he was brilliant for the first two thirds of the book and then the voices got a bit murky. 

So a bit of a mixed bag review, but overall, I did enjoy the book...and I'm glad I listened to it on audio.

No comments: