Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Not Safe For Work by L.A. Witt

Title: Not Safe For Work
Author: L.A. Witt
My Rating: A

Genre: Contemporary Romance (m/m)
Series: -
Main Characters: Rick and Jon
Release Date: December 2015
Publisher: Samhain
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: erotic

Story Overview:
They’re a match made in the dungeon…until their secret gets out.

Bored senseless in a meeting, architectural modeler Jon McNeill amuses himself with a kinky dating app on his phone. Then the app matches him with another user…who’s six feet away. Suddenly Jon finds himself on the same page as someone way above his pay grade: millionaire property developer Rick Pierce. His firm’s biggest—and hottest—client.

The app isn’t kidding either. They’re a perfect match. Jon’s a Dom, Rick’s a sub, and bondage is their thing. Both guys are well into their forties, know their way around the bedroom, and definitely appreciate a good suit. And the best part? They’re a match outside the bedroom too.

But office relationships aren’t easy to keep a secret. When the truth comes out, Jon is certain he’s about to get fired. Instead, his bosses throw him a curve ball—an ultimatum that puts both his job and his relationship in jeopardy.

Warning: Contains literal and figurative sex machines, blindfolds, a sub being punished during a business meeting, enough rope to tangle up a millionaire, and a Golden Girls marathon.

My Review:
I loved, loved, loved this book. Seriously, this was a really great story. The book is told entirely from Jon's POV. He works for an architecture firm crafting 3D models of their buildings. This is a dying art, but he works with a crew of 6-7 people who are known as the NSFW crew. They work hard, and give each other an even harder time...about everything. It's their way of working through the high-stress, short deadlines, and long hours they have in their office.

A year before the company was in danger of going under, until they were hired to do a huge downtown revitalization project by Rick's company. Rick has all the power in their corporate world. He's rich. He's powerful. And he's a sub who wants Jon for his Dom. 

The set-up of this story with the kink app and the boring, mind-numbing meeting was pure perfection. OMG, I loved the way these guys first hook up and the book just gets better from there. I love that they're both in their 40's. I love that Jon is the Dom, but Rick is his boss for all intents and purposes. I even really liked the setup at the architecture firm with the office of drafters and modelers. I went to school for a while for architecture so I loved getting this tiny revisit to that world. 

I love that they are at that place where the kink scene is all there is. There are a lot of times where they step out of the scene just to check in with one another. I loved that and it made the book feel more real. In reality this is an erotic romance, but I listed it as contemporary because it's about so much more than the sex. Yes, the sex is there and yes, it's sexy as hell. But that's never the focus...ever. These guys respect one another in and out of the bedroom. They're mature and that shows in their interactions. This is one of those books that I simply enjoyed reading because the characters are so freaking good together. The kink is there throughout, but there are just as many sweet, soft, romantic scenes of the two of them together in quiet times that just melted my heart. I LOVED THIS BOOK. 

And this book isn't just about Jon's relationship with Rick. It's also heavily about his crew at work that are like a second family, but he's hiding this huge secret from them. Jon also has a real family...three kids in college and an ex-wife who's his roommate. I loved the ex-wife...first of all that they've managed to stay such good friends, but also because she has such great perspective when everything hits the fan. I love that they're friends and that he has her...as well as his crew at work...including his direct manager (I can't remember her name right now...Maddie? maybe), but she turned out to be an incredible character.

I highly recommend this book. In fact, I think I'm going to have to order a print copy for my keeper shelf.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: