Tuesday, December 22, 2015

My Kind of Wonderful by Jill Shalvis

Title: My Kind of Wonderful
Author: Jill Shalvis
My Rating: A

Genre: Contemporary Romance 
Series: Cedar Ridge #2
Main Characters: Bailey and Hudson
Release Date: December 2015
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot


Story Overview:
UNEXPECTED AND UNDENIABLE...

Bailey Moore has an agenda: skiing in the Rockies, exploring castles in Europe, ballroom dancing in Argentina. Now that she has a second lease on life, she's determined not to miss a thing. What she doesn't realize is that item #1 comes with a six-foot-one ski god hot enough to melt a polar ice cap. She doesn't want to miss out on him either, but Hudson Kincaid isn't the type of guy to love and let go. And as gorgeous as Cedar Ridge is, she's not planning to stick around.

As head of ski patrol at his family's resort, Hud thinks he's seen it all. But never has he run into someone like Bailey. She might look delicate, but her attitude is all firecracker. And her infectious joy touches something deep within him that he's been missing far too long. Now he'll just have to convince Bailey to take a chance on her biggest adventure yet . . . something rare and all kinds of wonderful.
 


My Review:
This book...every single little thing about it was good. I adored this story. Hudson with his guilt and overwhelming sense of responsibility. Bailey and her heart wrenching backstory and outlook on life. Carrie who loves her boys even when her mind isn't working right. And the entire set of Kincaid siblings who love to give each other hell, but are there for one another and have the others backs...no matter what. Then there's the absent Jacob...OMG, this side of the story tore my heart. And that's before we even begin to talk about the amazingly gorgeous setting of Cedar Ridge ski resort and the incredible visuals of Hudson working and being all sexy ski-patrol alpha male. Honestly I wanted to freeze frame the images from this story in my mind and just enjoy.

Yeah, this is a good one. In fact, it's probably right up there in my top three Jill Shalvis reads of all time and that's saying something since I pretty much love everything she comes out with. But everything about this book just meshed so completely with the things I love in my books. 

But first and foremost on that list is the romance. The chemistry between Hudson and Bailey was so, so good. It really did sizzle. They both have their very good reasons for keeping their distance. For the first time, Bailey has a future to look forward to and a long list of things that she wants to get done in that time. Falling in love isn't in the plan. Hudson flat-out doesn't have time for one more complication in his life. As it is, he's only getting a handful of hours of sleep per night between his responsibilities at the ski slopes and his other job as a cop. This guy has people calling on him at all hours of the day and night to save them. He doesn't have time for himself...something that he's done very intentionally in his life. If he has no time, he doesn't have time to dwell on what he's lost...the most important parts of his heart. 

These are both amazingly strong and resilient characters, but that resiliency has come at a very big cost. I loved them both so much even as I ached for each of them and what they've been through. But that makes their HEA even that much better. 

There are only a handful of authors who can write such smart, fun dialogue as Jill Shalvis, but seriously...she remains the Queen of snarky, witty dialogue that keeps me laughing out loud and snorting constantly as I read one of her books. This book is no exception to that. The scenes with the siblings are PRICELESS! I love the Kincaid men and their ability to dish out a hard time to each other. (The unmentionables gifts were awesome!)

So, it's probably needless to say it at this point, but in case you missed it...
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK!

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review. Although as soon as I finished the book I got online and ordered a print copy for my keeper shelf, as well as pre-ordered a print copy of the next book because I'm DYING for Jacob's book!

No comments: