Monday, November 30, 2015

Rekindle the Flame by Kate Meader

Title: Rekindle the Flame
Author: Kate Meader
My Rating: A-

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: Hot in Chicago #0.5
Main Characters: Beck and Darcy
Release Date: November 2015
Publisher: Pocket Star
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
Cuddle up by the fire with the irresistible prequel to Kate Meader’s smokin’ Hot in Chicago series—originally published in the sizzling holiday anthology Baby, It’s Cold Outside—a superhot e-novella that will warm you from your head to your heart and all the way to your toes!

Chicago firefighter Beck Rivera always knew his destiny would be defined by two things: his dream to follow in the footsteps of his legendary foster father Sean Dempsey and his teenage passion for heiress Darcy Cochrane, the one girl who could both stoke and cool his fire. Loving her meant setting her free and breaking her heart—and his. But when a chance reunion at his family’s bar, sparked by a drunk Santa, places her in his path again, destiny can no longer be denied.

The last thing heiress-turned-tattoo-artist Darcy Cochrane needs is the rollercoaster of emotion stirred up by her first love: sexy, gorgeous man-on-fire Beck Rivera. But he always had such talented hands. And more talented lips. And...maybe one time can’t hurt. Then she’ll send him packing like he did to her all those years ago. But Darcy and Beck soon discover that nothing ignites holiday flames like rekindling a lost love...
My Review:
I've been lucky in that I've been reading this series since the first book, but somehow I missed the very first story that was a part of the Baby It's Cold Outside Anthology. I'm so glad I was asked to review this novella that started it all so I could truly catch up with all the Dempsey stories. 

This story is a second chance at love story and I love those. Beck and Darcy were high school sweethearts, but Beck broke Darcy's heart when he dumped her. What she didn't know was that he was giving her up so she'd have a real chance at life...something he didn't think she'd have with him.

So when he has a second chance, he's not willing to give her up again, but it's not so easy to convince her that she can trust him with her heart again.

The best thing about this story is the transformation Darcy has gone through in the last seven years. I love what a badass, awesome chick she is now. She's awesome...even if she is in denial over her feelings for Beck and what she wants from him now.

My only complaint about this book...it's a novella. While the story feels very complete, I feel like I didn't get a chance to truly become attached to these characters in the amount of pages in the story. Luckily, I've read the rest of the story, so I know the other characters so well, it still worked for me. 

I highly recommend this entire series. The premise is that these six foster kids that were taken in by the Dempsey family then all followed in their foster father's footsteps after he and the oldest brother died in a tragic firefighting accident. They have strong bonds, but with their backgrounds, the stories are very varied...and ALL good. Start with this one and then enjoy getting into the rest of the series. I definitely recommend them all.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: