Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Denial by Lisa Renee Jones

Title: Denial
Author: Lisa Renee Jones 
My Rating: B+

Genre: Romantic Suspense
Series: Careless Whispers #1
Main Characters: Ella and Kayden
Release Date: November 2015
Publisher: Gallery
Links to Purchase:


Sexual Intensity: erotic

Story Overview:
Book one in the CARELESS WHISPERS series. This is a standalone spin-off of the INSIDE OUT series (soon to be a TV show) that follows Ella Ferguson, Sara McMillan's best friend.

Ella Ferguson awakes alone in Italy, unsure of who she is, and a gorgeous man has claimed her as his own. He’s tall, dark, and sexy, with money and power, the kind of man who makes a girl want to be possessed. And he does possess her, whispering wicked wonderful promises to her, stealing her trust and her heart. Soon though, the past finds her, yanking her from a cocoon of passion and safety. Everything is not how it seems. The truth will shatter her world, but it can set her free, if it doesn't destroy her first.
 

My Review:
Lisa Renee Jones with another twisted, suspense-filled sexy series with more twists and turns. 

I wasn't a big fan of the last book I read by this author, so I went into reading this one with some doubts. But Kayden and Ella quelled them rather quickly. Although that sure doesn't mean that I'm not still sitting here with questions...lots of them. Like most LRJ books, this one left me with more questions at the end than I'd had throughout the entire book, but her ability to weave these stories is exactly why I love her writing. 

Ella is an American in Italy who woke up in a hospital with a concussion and no memory, and the gorgeous, extremely wealthy and powerful Kayden promising to take care of her. Nothing to be suspicious about there, right? It's everyday that strangers offer to take on a mountain of problems for people they don't know, right? Yeah, exactly. But despite those doubts, I like Kayden...a lot. Do I think he's hiding things? Hell, yeah. But he's one of those guys who's an alpha protector. I think he's hiding things with the best of intentions for Ella... and maybe for himself too. 

I wasn't too sure about Ella for a lot of the book...but a lot of that is because she's not a fully-formed character. She has no memory of herself, so she doubts everything including her own intuitions. But as her memory is coming back and details are emerging, I'm liking her more and more. I also like that she's becoming so much more herself and a force to be reckoned with. I love a girl who can take care of herself. 

I have no idea where this series is going to take us (I need to go back and re-read from the other series because they loosely tie together to see if there are any hints that I simply don't remember), but I'm anxious for book #2. It's called Demand and that title alone tells me I'm going to like Ella in the next book. She's definitely owed some answers. 

This is a book full of twists and turns. Don't go into it expecting anything to be answered. It will happen eventually in the series, but until then it's a fantastic ride of trying to figure out how all the players impact the story and the mystery. I have a few suspicions, but I have a feeling I'm guessing more wrong than right. LOL. Bring on book #2!

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: