Monday, October 12, 2015

Stirring Up Trouble by Andrea Laurence

Title: Stirring Up Trouble
Author: Andrea Laurence
My Rating: B+

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: Rosewood #3
Main Characters: Maddie and Emmett
Release Date: October 2015
Publisher: Pocket Star
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
When a prim and proper baker and a laid-back bartender have a neighborly disagreement that gets them both in trouble with the law, a sweet reconciliation is stirred up in the playful third romance in Andrea Laurence’s sexy Rosewood series.

Maddie’s life is perfectly sweet. Her bakery’s tasty treats are rising to the top of every must-have list in town, and her commute is just a block away by foot. She loves everything about her little downtown Victorian bungalow—except for her unbearably noisy neighbor, Woody’s. The bar’s obnoxious and sexy owner, Emmett, seems to live to aggravate Maddie. But he mostly thinks she could use a stiff drink to dislodge the stick up her ass. He’s just trying to run his business. Bars stay open late, they play music, they serve alcohol. If she doesn’t like it, why did she buy a house across the street?

When Maddie and Emmett’s battle lands them in front of the local judge, they’re ordered to do several weeks of community service cleaning parks and painting over graffiti. As they scrub away the latest works of art by the town’s anonymous “Penis Picasso,” the baker and the bartender slowly begin to see there’s more to each other than meets the eye. So what happens if they wave the white flag and surrender into each other’s arms?

My Review:
This was a cute set-up for a book. A bakery owner who gets up at 3:00 AM living across the street from a bar that's open until 2:00 AM....yeah, there's going to be some conflict there. But the thing is...the bar was there first and Maddie knew that. 

And that brings us to Maddie...who is not the most lovable heroine ever. In fact, she's spoiled and uptight and will make a great, bitter old maid in another thirty years....because yeah, she already has the attitude. I had a really hard time liking her...at first. But as Emmett falls for her, she began to soften a bit and she began to grow on me. Although i did find myself fascinated by the entire Chamberlain clan. This is the first book that I've read by this author, but I'm definitely ready to learn more about them. The family who is pretty much hated by everyone, but with the exception of Maddie, they all seemed like pretty awesome characters (at least this generation and Granny...who I loved). And Maddie did come around. She had a good character-growth arc.

I also really enjoyed Emmett's side of the story. I like that he wasn't all that he appeared to be, but had very good reasons for not telling Maddie. I liked him and how he related with his employees and customers. He truly embraces the point of a bar...to relax and hang out. I especially loved when he was commiserating with Maddie's brothers. 

It was a sweet, fun book. I enjoyed reading it. There was only one little niggle about it that I talked about below that lowered my rating from a 5 star to a 4. But even with that, I plan to read from this author again. I want to read more about the Chamberlain family...maybe Logan next? And I definitely need to go back and read the first two from the series.

Note...there was one thing about this book that really bugged me...the sex scenes. I write...I know these aren't easy to do, but there was so much flowery prose in the sex scenes, it took me out of the story... every single time. There's a bad guy in the book called the Penis Picasso, but an orgasm is called a 'pinnacle of pleasure'? No, just no. Ugh. If you can say penis, then you can use the word orgasm. It was just distracting and made the writing (in the sex scenes only) feel a bit 80's.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: