Monday, October 26, 2015

Line of Fire by HelenKay Dimon

Title: Line of Fire
Author: HelenKay Dimon
My Rating: A+

Genre: Military Romance 
Series: Greenway Range #2
Main Characters: Molly and Jason
Release Date: October 2015
Publisher: Carina
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
With his military career over and his ego bruised, Jason McAdams is ready to start over. As a founding partner in Greenway Range, his new life is everything he'd ever dared to dream about, but it also puts him in constant contact with the one woman he can't have: his best friend's little sister.

Molly Cain has loved Jason for as long as she can remember, and seeing him now—damaged and self-destructive—is a constant heartache. Watching him numbly work his way through woman after woman is damn near intolerable. Until one summer night changes everything.

After a rocky start, the sex is hot and naughty and all Molly knew it would be. And when he makes another pass at her, Molly doesn't say no. Or the many times after that, either. But Jason carries a secret—one that's kept him away from Molly for all these years, one that could ruin everything. He's been shot at and seen death, but letting the woman he loves find out the truth is the real worst-case scenario…

My Review:
Hands down, this is my favorite book that I've read from HelenKay Dimon. Every single little thing in this book worked for me. 

This book is a HUGE character driven story. Molly and Jason have a long history...of dancing around one another and not doing anything about their mutual attraction. When it began, she was only 17...too young for him at 23 and then life and circumstances kept them apart until there was simply too much between them...much of it really antagonistic. These are two characters who have dealt with their attraction by sniping and fighting one another...to the point where their friends wonder which will happen first...they have sex or kill one another. 

But underneath all that is what made this book so good...hurt and pain for both Molly and Jason. Wow, the emotion in this book was just so, so well done. Jason has tried to bury his attraction to Molly and his hurt from war in countless other women who mean nothing to him. But Molly has had front seat tickets to his parade of women and that isn't something she can just overlook. So when they decide to give into their attraction, it's Molly putting up the walls for her protection. This is sex and only sex...she won't even think about the hope for something else...something that's utterly devastating to Jason. They may be sleeping together, but the divide between them is getting bigger and bigger. 

The main romance is amazing, but it's made even better by the secondary romance of Marcus and Will. Marcus is Jason's older brother and the two brothers are basically in the same situation...they're good for sex, but not a real relationship. See, Will is still active duty and very much in the closet. Will is his little dirty secret. Marcus added so much depth to this story with his discussions with both Jason and Molly. I loved him even when my heart is breaking for him. There's no cliffhangers in this one and their story is *somewhat* resolved in this book, but I'd LOVE to see Marcus and Will get their own story. There's so much conflict for them to still overcome and I'd love to see more of their story. 

This is one of those moments that makes me sad that this is a Carina publication. I'd LOVE to have this book on my keeper print shelf. Maybe they will print it eventually (they do that every once in a while...probably just to give me hope).

I definitely loved this book and it's going right into my re-read shelf. BTW, for those of you that read my review for the first book in this series...I was somewhat dissatisfied with the explanation of why this shooting range was needed and how it would differ from what they already had AND support 3 people. Those questions were answered in this book and I LOVE what the author is creating with these guys and their shooting range. It sounds incredible. I'd go to it in a heartbeat!

I highly recommend this book. It's easily one of the best books I've read this year. 

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review. 

No comments: