Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Irresistibly Yours by Lauren Layne

Title: Irresistably Yours
Author: Lauren Layne
My Rating: A

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: Oxford #1
Main Characters: Cole and Penelope
Release Date: October 2015
Publisher: Loveswept
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
Meet the men of Oxford magazine! In the first captivating spin-off of Lauren Layne’s Sex, Love & Stiletto series, a not-so-friendly battle of the sexes turns into a scorching office romance.
 
Hotshot sports editor Cole Sharpe has been freelancing for Oxford for years, so when he hears about a staff position opening up, he figures he’s got the inside track. Then his boss drops a bombshell: Cole has competition. Female competition, in the form of a fresh-faced tomboy who can hang with the dudes—and write circles around them, too. Cole usually likes his women flirty and curvy, but he takes a special interest in his skinny, sassy rival, if only to keep an eye on her. And soon, he can’t take his eyes off her.
 
Penelope Pope knows all too well that she comes off as just one of the guys. Since she’s learned that wanting more usually leads to disappointment, Penelope’s resigned to sitting on the sidelines when it comes to love. So why does Cole make her want to get back in the game? The man is as arrogant as he is handsome. He probably sees her as nothing more than a barrier to his dream job. But when an unexpected kiss turns into a night of irresistible passion, Penelope has to figure out whether they’re just fooling around—or starting something real.
 
Includes a special message from the editor, as well as an excerpt from another Loveswept title.

My Review:
I've said it again and I'll probably say it every time I read one of Lauren Layne's books...these are, hands down, some of the most intelligent, fun, entertaining contemporary romance stories on the market today. Every single book I've read of hers has been just brilliant with characters that I fall in love with. I smile almost the entire time I read because her dialogue is always spot on and witty and just so intelligent. I always feel better, happier, for having read one of her books. 

This one was no different, but what was different in this book was Penelope. Wow, I LOVED her.

The Oxford series is a spin-off from the Stiletto series. Both these books are built around the high-fashion, high-social life of the NYC magazine scene. Oxford is a men's magazine and they've decided to expand their sports section to a significant portion of the magazine. To achieve that, they need an editor for the job. Cole, who's been working freelance for the sports section of the magazine for years, should be a shoe-in for the job, but that's before Penelope applies. 

Penelope is the antithesis to this group of characters that have made appearances in the series. She's a transplant from Chicago and is not one of the beautiful people. She's a tomboy completely obsessed with sports. She's one of the guys. Cole calls her Tiny (I LOVE his nickname for her) because she's a diminutive little thing, completely lacking in feminine curves. In other words, NOT his type at all. But she adores sports as much as he does and he's fascinated. Add to that, she's just an upfront girl...what you see is what you get. She's genuine, doesn't play games, and is truly a nice person. She's a good friend...so why is he so turned on by her?

Honestly this is just one of those books that's a pure joy to read. My one issue with Lauren Layne books is that they end. I hate watching that countdown on my kindle when I know the book is going to end because they are just so much fun to read. The snappy dialogue and the beautiful people are fabulous, but I loved this one because the girl next door got the playboy. Cole has been around the Stiletto girls for a long time as their resident manwhore. I loved watching him fall in love. It was a GREAT book. Now, I'm ready to find out what's behind Lincoln's facade...something happened to him and I'm dying to know what it was. Who broke his heart? The scenes with him hurt my heart. I can't wait for his HEA.

I highly recommend!!
I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: