Wednesday, October 21, 2015

From the Wreckage by Melissa Collins

Title: From the Wreckage
Author: Melissa Collins
My Rating: B

Genre: Contemporary Romance 
Series: -
Main Characters: David and Grace
Release Date: October 2015
Publisher: 
Links to Purchase:


Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
First, he saved me.
I lived because he was a hero.
And then he was gone.
Uprooted by the fire that destroyed our home, my family moved away and I never saw David Andrews again.
Then, he found me.
Eighteen years later, he rescued me again - in much simpler terms, of course. By loving me, by giving me the fairy tale I’d always hoped for, he provided me with the perfect life.
Now, he needs to be saved.
It’s my turn to be strong, to be brave, to be valiant.
When flames threaten to turn us to ashes, it’s up to me to pull us From the Wreckage.
 

My Review:
Wow...Melissa Collins definitely knows how to write an angst-filled, emotional book, and this one takes all that to the extreme. The characters and the story have a lot of that, but then you overlay the story onto the New York City Fire Department and the emotions left from 9/11 and this book definitely packs a powerful punch. Overall, it's a beautiful story. 

I love David and Grace's backstory from when they were kids and the pure unlikelihood that they'd ever see one another again. I love stories that push the boundaries of fate. I liked the two of them and that deep connection that they still feel which makes the fast (fast in that they were in deep really quickly...the actual romance takes place over a good chunk of time) love story somewhat more believable. 

I loved the touches of firefighters in NYC and the fact that Grace has always read firefighter themed romances. (That made me giggle.) I liked the friendships in the book...Jade with her take-no-crap straight-forwardness and Ian with his playboy ways. It will be interesting to see if the author decides to take them out for their own book and HEA. My heart twisted and tore for Ian at the end of this one. 

This book is divided into two parts and once the second part began, I was completely and totally riveted. I loved that the author didn't take the easy route with the story. Instead she tore and ripped at Grace and David which made their love seem even more real and resilient in the end. I loved that she had the courage to do that. That part of the book was AMAZING and rated an A+ in my book. 

I do have one little problem with the story though...the characters' reaction to conflict or really any emotion besides pure happiness seemed WAY over the top. Every single time. Grace touched another guy's hand...OMG, she's a slut. David pulled a few strings...how dare he interfere? Suddenly, these perfectly normal, level-headed characters (that I loved otherwise) went completely mental. I didn't get that...at all. It just seemed so out of character for both of them and every time it happened it took me completely out of the story as I shook my head going 'wtf just happened?'

Luckily, the other parts of the story were strong enough and touched me enough that I could just pretend those moments didn't exist and not let them ruin the whole book for me. 

It is a deeply moving book, and overall I'm happy to have spent my time reading it.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: