Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Every Little Kiss by Kim Amos

Title: Every Little Kiss
Author: Kim Amos
My Rating: B

Genre: Contemporary Romance 
Series: White Pine #3
Main Characters: Casey and Abe
Release Date: October 2015
Publisher: Forever
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
TURN ON THE CHARM

Eternal good girl Casey Tanner moved to White Pine for a fresh start. Her mission: to finally have fun. And a fling with a reckless bad boy is the very first item on the to-do list she pretended not to make. After one long, lingering look at a sexy firefighter, Casey has found her man.

...AND TURN UP THE HEAT

Getting women into his bed has never been a problem for Abe Cameron. Letting one into his heart is an entirely different matter. But just one kiss, just one touch, just one smile from beautiful Casey has this lifelong bachelor flirting with the idea of forever. And Casey's refusal to settle down only makes Abe more determined than ever to win her heart. Now the one woman who can't be caught is the only one Abe can't live without...

My Review:
Although I have a couple of Kim Amos books in my TBR pile, this is the first time I've read one of her stories. I'm not so sure this was the best place to start just because Casey is not an easy character to love. 

Casey is very rigid with her control of everything to the detriment of...well, everything. She's not happy and knows that she needs to loosen up. She's even set out with a plan to do that...create a new Casey. But the way she approaches new Casey is very much old Casey. She has a plan...a list...a guideline...and, again a long list of rules about how she can become less rigid. Yeah, you can see how that's going to work out for her. It's not. And that was probably my biggest issue with her. She's not dumb, but the way she approaches fixing her life is. It simply doesn't make sense, and that's why I really had a hard time with loving her. There's no flexibility there.

On the other hand, I love Abe. He has his own set of rules. He's a monogamous womanizer. He can have the same woman in his bed for a set period of time, but once she hits 90 days, she's gone. After he has a brush with his mortality, he realizes that this isn't the way he wants to live the rest of his life. So he sets about changing his approach with Casey.

There were lots of things going for this book...
*I loved the firefighter aspects of it. Those scenes were dynamic and interesting from the camaraderie of the firefighters to them actually fighting fires. I loved all those scenes within the book. 
*Casey works at a tutoring place that caters to children that need help. I loved getting the glimpses inside this business and the young 10 yo (Carter, I think was his name) just broke my heart. That story was so well-done. I fell in love with that kid right along with Casey. I loved how she connected with him. Again some great scenes especially as they were ferreting out his problems...great imagery and writing.
*The small town and the Knots and Bolts girls. There were some interesting scenes here too, but in these I felt like I was missing a lot because I haven't read the previous stories. These women were obviously the heroines of those stories. 
*Dave & Quinn...um, yeah, I'm ready for their story. I liked them a LOT!

I did have one other issue with this book, and this is completely a personal preference. I like a lot of action on the page, but these characters spent a lot of time in their heads or having sex. I felt like there wasn't a whole lot of meat to the actual romance because of that. It did get better with the climax and final scenes, but overall I wanted more actual dialogue among the characters and less talk within their heads...especially Casey's who got to be a bit repetitive. 

So, somewhat of a mixed review. And while this wasn't my favorite book I've ever read, I think a lot of that was simply because I didn't connect with the heroine's character. Just like in real life...you simply don't connect with everyone.
I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: