Wednesday, October 28, 2015

A Winter Wedding by Brenda Novak

Title: A Winter Wedding
Author: Brenda Novak
My Rating: B+

Genre: Contemporary Romance 
Series: Whiskey Creek #9
Main Characters: Kyle and Lourdes
Release Date: October 2015
Publisher: Mira
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
One Christmas can change your life...

Kyle Houseman believes he'll never find anyone he could love as much as Olivia Arnold, who's now married to his stepbrother. Not only did he lose her, he's been through one divorce and has no desire to go through another. He's determined to be extra careful about the next woman he gets involved with—which is why he fights his attraction to the beautiful stranger who rents his farmhouse for the Christmas holiday.

Lourdes Bennett is a country music artist. She's only planning to stay in Whiskey Creek long enough to write the songs for her next album—the album that's going to put her back on top. Her dreams don't include settling in a town even smaller than the one she escaped. But as she comes to know Kyle, she begins to wonder if she'd be making a terrible mistake to leave him behind.
 

My Review:
I wasn't sure I would like this book when it first began. At the beginning of the story, Kyle was still convinced that he'd never get over his love for Olivia, who married his half-brother. And Lourdes was engaged, although in a bad place with her relationship. Hmm, they both were in love with other people...how is this going to work? But I love that they developed a friendship first...friends to lovers always works for me. 

Whiskey Creek in the winter. I liked it. I liked the set of circumstances that threw Lourdes and Kyle into living together. I also really liked how comfortable Lourdes is with inserting herself into Kyle's life. She's been really knocked down by the events in her life lately, but I love that being with Kyle you can see the glimmers of that old confident Lourdes that made it to the top of the charts. 

There's a lot going on in this story...as there is in most the Whiskey Creek stories. Kyle is dealing with the spiraling emotional breakdown of his ex, who he's still tied to by family and legal obligations. I almost hated how nice of a guy Kyle was with Noelle. He really went too far letting her walk all over him. I had a hard time with how little he stood up for himself, even when things began to implode...he still was protecting her to an extent when he shouldn't be anymore. 

But there's also the wedding between Riley and Phoenix...my favorite couple in the Whiskey Creek series. They didn't play a huge part in this book, but I loved that we got to see their special moment, because I love them so much. 

It was also interesting to see Lourdes life as she's working to rebuild her music career and how her manager and her involvement or lack of one with him affects her future success. 

And in between all that were the perfect little Christmas vignettes...from the chopping down the Christmas tree and trimming it to the Victorian charity event. It made for such a beautiful, fun setting for the story. 

Overall, this was just another fun installment to the Whiskey Creek series. I recommend any book in the series. They are all good. You can read any of the books alone, but the entire series is phenomenal.

Now the only single person left in their little crew of friends is Baxter...and he has finally come back home. Please, Brenda Novak, I'm begging you...please tell Baxter's story. He's earned his HEA, too, and I want to read about the guy who finally catches his heart and sweeps him off his feet. Please...

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: