Friday, September 4, 2015

Waking the Bear by Kerry Adrienne (audiobook)

Title: Waking the Bear
Author: Kerry Adrienne
My Rating: B-
Narrator: Jason P. Hilton

Genre: Paranormal Romance 
Series: Broken Chains #1
Main Characters: Griff and Amy 
Release Date: April 2015
Publisher: Earthshine
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
Overprotective bear shifter, Griff Martin, reluctantly rents his mountain cabin to an artist, Amy Francis. He quickly realizes the plucky artist is mate. But danger is brewing in the forest, and Griff has to be ready to safeguard both his female and his den, at the risk of losing both. 

First in the Broken Chains series.

My Review:
Overall: 3.25
Performance: 3.00
Story: 3.5

This is the second audiobook that I've accepted for review with this author/narrator combo. I should have paid attention to my feelings after the first book, because I don't think the issue is with either the author or the narrator. I just think together, they don't do well. 

The narrator overall is great. He has very distinct voices for his characters. I just don't necessarily like the way he interprets the characters. Something about his inflections make the dialogue seem ridiculous. His voice for the heroine in particular made her sound like she didn't have any brains. And yes, she made some questionable choices in this story, but she sounded completely clueless for a lot of the book. 

For the last forty-five minutes of the audio, I knew I wasn't particularly liking it...the dialogue just felt off and a bit ridiculous...so I really started paying attention to what was being said. And honestly, I think I would have liked this book better if I'd been reading it. But I didn't read it, I listened to it and that meant I had to deal with the narrator's interpretation of the story. That's what I had an issue with. 

This is a short story, but it had an interesting premise with the bear clan and the cat clan wanting to take over the territory. I like that Griff just came out of hibernation, so he spends a lot of the book very sleepy. It made him seem really lovable. The romance is quick and to tell the truth, very little of the book is really focused on it. It's more concentrated on the conflict between the shifters and the danger to Amy. But like I said, it's a short story. There is a lot there for the length of it.

I received a complimentary copy of the audiobook in return for an honest review.


1 comment:

Melanie Simmons (mlsimmons) said...

I don't know this author or narrator. I do like the sounds of the story, but I think I might try reading instead of listening. Thanks for the honest review.