Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Storytime by K. Lynn

Title: Storytime
Author: K. Lynn
My Rating: B-

Genre: Contemporary Romance (m/m) 
Series: -
Main Characters: James and David
Release Date: September 2015
Publisher: Less Than Three Press
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
Since the death of his partner a year ago, sci-fi writer James Murphy has lived a quiet, secluded life. But at the urging of his agent, he finally makes an effort to rejoin society. His first step is volunteering for a weekly storytime at the local library. The decision seems like a good one when he meets the children's librarian, David.

Bright and engaging, David somehow manages to make James feel like everything will be okay. But when mutual friendship leads to a budding romance, the move forward could be too much for James. Leaving his past love behind once and for all might be a step he'll never be ready to take.
 

My Review:
On the surface, this book was fine. The writing worked and the story kept my attention. BUT it's super, super short...and what's missing from the story is the emotion. While I somewhat enjoyed reading James and David's story, I never did emotionally engage with them. It was like reading a narrative where I could clap and say, "well done", but five minutes later, just not care. All the surface story telling is there, but there's nothing deep in the story to let the reader connect and root for the characters. Which is kind of sad, because the surface story is decent. It just needed more. I wanted to care for these characters...and I just didn't.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: