Thursday, September 24, 2015

Stalked by H.C. Brown

Title: Stalked
Author: H.C. Brown
My Rating: B-

Genre: Paranormal Romantic Suspense (m/m)
Series: The Slayers #2
Main Characters: Sorren and Micah
Release Date: September 2015
Publisher: Momentum
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: erotic

Story Overview:
Who's more dangerous – a stripper, an assassin, or a serial killer?

The Stripper Ripper is stalking the streets of New York City, preying on male strippers, and the press is making mincemeat of a helpless police force.

In desperation, the police refer the serial killer's case to the Slayers, a team of enhanced, undercover super soldiers. The commander of the Slayers puts his team on the streets to watch over the Ripper's favorite targets.

One of these targets is Micah, a twink stripper and a desirable sub. Micah's baby sitter is one of the newest members of the Slayers, Sorren, as cold-blooded an assassin as they come, and the last person you'd expect to harbor feelings for his charge.

True to form, Sorren is as surprised as anyone at his new infatuation, but Micah is hiding something. Will Micah learn to trust his protector, or is he destined to be the next victim on the Stripper Ripper's list?

My Review:
This is another one of those books...it had such great promise. I was really excited when I got it for review because the blurb sounded amazing. It just didn't quite live up to the possibilities. 

So...male stripper, serial killer, nano-enhanced super soldiers...it sounds incredible, right? I'll admit it had it's moments and I never once debated dnf'ing it so it definitely wasn't all bad. 

What I liked:
*I really liked the Stalkers and the whole back story behind them and how they ended up like this.
*I liked the idea of nano fever, although it never really played out on the page...we only got hints about how it worked. I wanted to see that smexiness.
*I also liked the stripper and BDSM angles. The scenes with Micah dancing were fabulous.

What I didn't like:
*the condescension from the Stalkers toward Micah, especially toward the end of the book. It felt like everyone just gave him a nice little pat on the head and then tried to shove him aside "to keep him safe."
*supposedly Sorren is a ultra-edge-play Dom. Um, I didn't see anything even close to that...a lot of talk there.
*there was no suspense with the bad guy...I love it when I'm kept guessing about who it is...and that was never the case in this book. 
*there was a lot of build up of events that then fell flat on their follow-through and some of the dialogue between Sorren and Micah was flat-out cheesy.

So, a good idea that didn't follow through as well as I'd hoped. I never hated the book, but it definitely won't be one that I'll read again. I'm thinking this is an author that I just need to let others enjoy...and I'm okay with that.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: