Monday, September 21, 2015

Shooting Dirty by Jill Sorenson

Title: Shooting Dirty
Author: Jill Sorenson
My Rating: B

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series:Dirty Eleven #2
Main Characters: Ace and Janelle
Release Date: September 2015
Publisher: Carina
Links to Purchase:

Sexual Intensity: erotic


Story Overview:
She's his only salvation.

Ace Clemmons has wanted Janelle from the moment he first saw her. Taking her captive while he carried out his last hit as a member of Dirty Eleven nearly broke him. Now that he’s gone straight, he’s back in her life, looking to stake his claim. He can’t erase the past but he’ll do anything to make it up to her.

Janelle Parker needs a new start, far away from the trailer park and the strip club. A down and dirty affair with a tattooed criminal is a step in the wrong direction, but she can’t resist Ace’s deliciously commanding touch, which has haunted her dreams for months. Soon they’re both in too deep, falling hard and fast—until an old feud with a rival motorcycle club explodes into an all-out war. Dirty Eleven's enemies won't hesitate to hurt Janelle to get to Ace. She has to fight to survive… and for the fiercest love she’s ever known.

My Review:

I'll admit, I wanted to DNF this book several times while I was reading it. And this is probably on me. I like Motorcycle Clubs to a certain extent, but it is way too easy to take them over that dark and gritty line. This one kept skirting that edge way too close for my liking. I need my characters to maybe flirt with being bad, but they have to have a darn good reason for it. For this hero and heroine, I just couldn't believe they didn't have any other choices. Especially when toward the end of the book the author specifically pointed out that the Dirty Eleven club doesn't have far-reaching power. Well, if that was the case, the MC's could have left the area with their kids and gotten away...and had a much better life for it. 

But the fact remains that I did keep reading the book. It kept me engaged to the point that I didn't want to put it down. The author knows how to write a riveting story. I just needed her to pull something off at the end that showed these two were really good people stuck in a bad situation that they COULDN'T escape. She didn't quite sell me on that. And I'm not so sure about the good people aspect. Granted, they both had their moments that showed their humanity and both of their back stories are awful. But people die, get hurt, and maimed...and there's never a moment of sorrow about that for these two. That's a difficult thing to swallow, even if the people getting hurt aren't the best of humanity.

I don't know...I'm still kind of wishing I hadn't finished this one. I think I should have followed my gut at the 20% mark. But like I said...that's on me. The book completely captured my attention and I never did manage to walk away. If you like your stories with darker characters and story lines, this is probably a good one for you. The writing is tight and the characters stay true to themselves.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: