Saturday, September 12, 2015

My Skylar by Penelope Ward (audiobook)

Title: My Skylar
Author: Penelope Ward
My Rating: A
Narrator: Casey Jones and Piper Goodeve

Genre: New Adult 
Series: Gemini #3
Main Characters: Skylar and Mitch 
Release Date: March 2015 (audiobook)
Publisher: 
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
From the author of the Amazon #1 bestselling romance, Jake Undone, comes a friends-to-lovers story of longing, passion, betrayal and redemption……with a twist that will rip your heart out.

Skylar was my best friend, but I secretly pined for her. One thing after another kept us apart, and I’ve spent the last decade in fear of losing her forever. 

First, it was the cancer, but she survived only to face the unthinkable at my hands. Because of me, she left town. For years, I thought I’d never see her again.

But now she’s back…and living with him.  

I don’t deserve her after everything I’ve put her through, but I can’t live without her. This is my last chance, because she’s about to make the biggest mistake of her life. I can see it her eyes: she doesn’t love him. She still loves me...which is why I have to stop her before it’s too late. 

My Skylar is a STANDALONE novel and a companion to Jake Undone.

**Contains graphic sexual content and harsh language. It is only appropriate for adult readers age 18+


My Review:
Overall: 4.5
Performance: 4.0
Story:4.75

I got online and bought this audiobook immediately after finishing Jake Undone. I was so excited that Mitch and Skylar were going to get their own story, but wow...I did not expect their road to be quite so rocky. 

These two characters will break your heart. Mitch has abandonment issues that Skylar keys into when they are just children. She accepts him and comforts him from the very start. This story travels from when they are around age 8 until they are getting close to thirty (guessing here...it's somewhere between 25 and 30.)

As you would expect when the story covers that many years, there are a lot of highs and heartbreaking lows for these two characters. Seriously, this book broke my heart. I loved them both so much and to see them constantly going through such hardship and kept apart by circumstances KILLED me. 

And ack...now I'm at a loss as to what else to say without giving spoilers. 

You need to read this book. 

Is that enough? Seriously, it's an emotional read and I loved both the characters. It's a tough road for them, but that makes the end just that much sweeter. I was so happy by the time the book ended. 

Read it. I think you will like it. 

And I do recommend this one on audio. (Jake Undone too.) And regardless of my slightly lower rating for the narrators on this one, it was VERY well done. My issue was there are two narrators for the male and female leads. The female is spot-on....she did an AMAZING job. The guy...I just hated his voice for Skylar, but you know...he's a guy. It's hard for a guy to do a good female voice without it sounding ridiculous. I didn't like his voice for her, but other than that, he was a great narrator too. (And honestly, the odds are good that his voice wouldn't bother most of you reading this review.)

No comments: