Saturday, September 5, 2015

Driven by K. Bromberg (audiobook)

Title: Driven
Author: K. Bromberg
My Rating: B+
Narrator: Tatiana Sokolov

Genre: Contemporary Romance 
Series: Driven #1 
Main Characters: Colton and Rylee
Release Date: January 2014
Publisher: Tantor Audio
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
I am the exception to the rule. In a world full of willing women, I'm a challenge to the roguish and achingly handsome Colton Donavan. A man used to getting exactly what he wants in all aspects of life. He's the reckless bad boy constantly skating that razor-thin edge toward out of control, on and off of the track.

Colton crashes into my life like a tornado: sapping my control, testing my vulnerabilities beyond their limits, and unintentionally penetrating the protective wall around my healing heart. Tearing apart the world I rebuilt so carefully with structure, predictability, and discipline.

I can't give him what he wants and he can't give me what I need. But after a glimpse beneath his refined exterior into the dark secrets of his damaged soul, can I bring myself to walk away?

Our sexual chemistry is undeniable. Our individual need for complete control is irrefutable. But when our worlds collide, is the chemistry enough to bring us together or will our untold secrets and battle of wills force us apart?
 


My Review:
Overall: 3.75
Performance: 3.5
Story: 3.75

I know, I know. I'm one of the last people in the world to start this series. And I understand now why it's been so widely loved. The book, overall, was good. The characters are interesting and they each have really angst-filled back stories which make for a riveting and emotional story. 

This story is about Rylee and Colton. Rylee is a social worker type who manages a house full of young boys who've had incredibly unfortunate home lives before this. Colton is a racecar driver who before he was adopted and taken in by his current family was just like one of those boys that Rylee is always championing. He has deep emotional wounds. But Rylee hasn't had an easy life either. A couple of years before this, she was in a car accident with the love of her life and listened to him slowly die as they were trapped for days before anyone found them in a ravine. Yeah, that leaves some emotional wounds. The set-up is fabulously well done to give characters that have huge flaws, but you love them anyway because they've had such a tough road getting to here. 

For Rylee, romance has been one person...Max, who died. Opening herself up to a player like Colton is just not something that she's comfortable with. For Colton, he's honest with himself and others. He knows his emotional scars run too deep to ever stick to one relationship. It's just not part of his psyche. 

Like I said, I totally get the appeal of this series. For the most part, I enjoyed the book, but this is a long book which makes for an even longer audiobook. The back and forth between the two characters just got to be a bit much for me. Colton pulling Rylee into his sphere and then pushing her away again because he "can't be what she needs him to be." I got so tired of that...and then knowing that the series goes on for three more books...ugh. And I know that the author obviously has to go deeper into their story than that eventually, but it just wore me out emotionally. I don't think this series overall is one for me (and note...that's not that surprising...I'm not a huge NA fan and this book is definitely written in the NA style)

And just a note about the narration on this one since I listened to the audiobook. Overall the narrator had a good range of voices and those NEVER wavered...which I like in my narrators. But she had this weird inflection where she would use a higher pitch at the end of them that almost made them sound like questions. It was odd. Again, it wasn't a huge thing, but after 12 hours of audio, it got old. 


No comments: