Monday, September 14, 2015

Base Instincts by Larissa Ione

Title: Base Instincts
Author: Larissa Ione
My Rating: A

Genre: Paranormal Romance (m/m)
Series: Demonica #11.7
Main Characters: Slake and Raze
Release Date: September 2015
Publisher:  Riptide Publishing
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
As a Seminus demon, Raze’s life literally depends on having sex with females. The problem is that he doesn’t desire females, and it’s physically impossible for him to be with males. Thankfully, he and his best friend, Fayle, have an arrangement that keeps him alive . . . if lonely. He finds some solace in his work as a medic at Thirst, a vampire club known for its rough clientele. But his carefully structured world turns upside down when he meets a mysterious male who makes him want what he can never have.

Slake is an assassin used to getting what he wants, and what he wants is Raze. But he also wants to earn back the soul he sold when he was a much different demon. All he has to do is capture a runaway succubus named Fayle and hand her over to her family. What he doesn’t count on is being caught himself by a web of lies—and his attraction to Raze.

Raze and Slake must navigate a dangerous world to be together. But as Fayle’s jealousy of their relationship turns deadly, they find themselves embroiled in a battle not only for their love, but their lives and souls.
My Review:
If you asked me what my favorite all-time paranormal series was, the Demonica series would definitely be in the top three, if not the top slot. So, when I heard that Larissa Ione was releasing an m/m story within the world, I literally squee'ed out loud. I could not wait for this book. And...it was so good!

Some of my favorite creatures in this series...Sems. And Raze is in the worst possible situation simply because of what he is....a Sem who needs sex with women on a daily basis...but he's gay and unable to orgasm with men. Talk about unending torture. Seriously, this is a guy who is really not happy in his world, but he's making the most of it...even knowing that eventually he will probably die because of the situation. He has a deal with a female to keep him alive...even if he's truly not sexually happy. 

Then there's Slake. He's about to lose his soul because he can't do this one final job...find the female who's keeping Raze, the guy he's interested in, alive. It's a Catch-22 for everyone involved and I had no idea how Larissa was going to make ANYTHING in this entire situation work. But she did...with a TON of twists and turns along the way that I absolutely adored. Whoa...this book was so good. 

And of course, this is a Larissa Ione book...which means it was seriously smexy and had some great emotional and action packed scenes. I started the book and literally did not move again until I hit The End. It was so good. 

I highly recommend it. For that matter, I highly recommend any of her books. And I know...this is #11.7 in the series. I think you could read it as a stand-alone and understand the world just fine. She does a good job explaining the bare-bones basics so you could pick this one up and give her a try if you've never read her before. Those of you that have, I know you've already pushed the one-click button. ;)

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review. 

No comments: