Thursday, August 27, 2015

Wildest Dreams by Robyn Carr

Title: Wildest Dreams
Author: Robyn Carr
My Rating: B

Genre: Contemporary Romance 
Series: Thunder Point #9
Main Characters: Lin Su and Blake
Release Date: August 2015
Publisher: Harlequin
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
Blake Smiley searched the country for just the right place to call home. The professional triathlete has traveled the world, but Thunder Point has what he needs to put down the roots he's never had. In the quiet coastal town he can focus on his training without distractions. Until he meets his new neighbors and everything changes.

Lin Su Simmons and her teenage son, Charlie, are fixtures at Winnie Banks' house as Lin Su nurses Winnie through the realities of ALS. A single mother, Lin Su is proud of taking charge and never showing weakness. But she has her hands full coping with a job, debt and Charlie's health issues. And Charlie is asking questions about his family history—questions she doesn't want to answer.

When Charlie enlists Blake's help to escape his overprotective mother, Lin Su resents the interference in her life. But Blake is certain he can break through her barriers and be the man she and Charlie need. When faced with a terrible situation, Blake comes to the rescue, and Lin Su realizes he just might be the man of her dreams. Together, they recognize that family is who you choose it to be.

My Review:
Nine books into this series and I've read every single one and in just about every book, I have the same complaint...I don't want to see all the sporadic, random points of view from every person in the town. 

And because I complain about that every time, I guess I either need to get over it or stop reading the series, because that's simply the way Robyn Carr has chosen to write this series. 

At this point, I will say that when we go into one of those 'other' pov's, I simply start skimming...because you know what, I don't really care about the stress between Gwen and Norm caused by their surprise cruise. That doesn't affect the main characters...at all...and thus, I DO NOT CARE. Ugh. I could even overlook it if that side-story had ANYthing to do with the main story, but I can't even think of a time when they even interacted in the story. It's just the random points of view and tidbits about the characters from Thunder Point that are seemingly just thrown into the stories at random...every single book. Please stop with that... These books would be so much better without those random POV's.

But this book was 'mainly' about Blake and Lin Su. Overall, I enjoyed their story. It worked for me that they both had such harsh backgrounds even though it doesn't seem like it on the surface. 

I loved that Blake recognized that fact first. I adored Blake. He's a world-champion tri-athlete and I found him so alpha and sexy. I love the way that he connects with Charlie, Lin Su's 14 yo son. His work with underprivileged kids was fantastic. I also loved the detail that went into his races and training and simply the experience into his mind during a race. Bravo to Robyn Carr for those details.

I had a harder time with Lin Su. She's a tough, rigid woman. She's had to be to survive what she has, and I understood that, but she never ever relaxed...not even during the tender moments with Blake. As a result, i had a really hard time connecting with her. She should have only been 32 years old in the story, but she was written so that she came across as a 65 yo bitter woman. She felt so old and unforgiving in the story and I really couldn't deal with her actions at the end with Blake. She's just so...rigid. 

So again...another mixed review for a Thunder Point book. I want to enjoy this series. I like the set-up and the town. And for the most part, I really enjoy the characters. But there's just something... It may be time for me to step back and spend my time reading something else. 

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: