Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Secret Pleasure by Lora Leigh

Title: Secret Pleasure
Author: Lora Leigh
My Rating: B+

Genre: Erotic Romance 
Series: Bound Hearts #13
Main Characters: Alyssa, Bastion, and Shane
Release Date: August 2015
Publisher: St. Martin's
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: erotic

Story Overview:
Once a member of the Sinclair men’s club as their honorary female member, Alyssa Hampstead broke one of the most important rules of the club and gracefully accepted Ian Sinclair’s request to leave.

For a reason.

Now, caught between two men she’s terrified of, and a father determined to destroy her, she turns to the only safety she’s ever known, that of the men’s club she forced herself to walk away from.
Only to learn that the very men she’s running from are awaiting for her there. And the man determined to destroy her, has just been waiting for her to return.
My Review:
Okay, right off the bat, you need to know going into this book that you need to suspend some disbelief. This book is all about the fantasy and sometimes the fantasy goes a little over the top. BUT...if you can do that, I promise you this can be a fun book to read. I actually really enjoyed it a lot.

When the book begins, Bastion and Shane are 24 yo cousins. They are best friends and share everything, including their women. They are at their aunt's annual Christmas party and meet 18 yo Alyssa in the winter-frosted gardens. Everything about this scene reminded me of a historical novel...the cousins, the setting, the clothes, and even the mild seduction. And although I'm not a historical reader, I liked that because it helped to set my mindset for the entire novel. This isn't a book that's set completely in the modern world...it's a bit more ethereal and fantastical than that...even though it is set in modern, contemporary times. 

I also really liked that even though this is an erotic romance, there is a slow seduction of Alyssa. She doesn't know what to do with the cousins, but she knows she has fun with them and wants to continue to enjoy their company, even when they are completely outrageous and she's not quite sure how to handle these two overwhelming, alpha men. There is a connection between the three characters which I love. I love it when an author can pull off that kind of mystical connection and thought Lora Leigh wrote it beautifully. The cousins are old enough to recognize that what they're feeling with Alyssa is different...it's more...and it's not a game. I loved that too. 

Things happen and the families on both sides have to get involved. Their dedication and love for these three characters was really well done. I liked finding out at the end that it had gone even deeper than was first revealed. Family is important...and all these families realize that loyalty is important regardless of what it may cost in the end. (And I know that's all vague, but I really don't want to post any spoilers because the book is brilliantly woven and I don't want to spoil any of that for anyone else.)

The book was sexy and sweet and at moments, nothing short of heartbreaking. There were several times while reading it that I cried because I was so emotionally invested at the time. That usually means an automatic 5 star read from me, but there's a reason that I gave it 4. Those over the top moments. Honestly, if I'd been in a different mood when I sat down to read this, I think it could have been a dnf for me. I definitely had moments where I snickered at some of the dialogue, because it could get a little cheesy. But in the end, on the day I read it, I was okay with that, because I loved these three characters and I got to immerse myself in the fantasy of their love...and in the end, I found it beautiful.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: