Monday, August 17, 2015

Riding Dirty by Jill Sorenson

Title: Riding Dirty
Author: Jill Sorenson
My Rating: B

Genre: Motorcycle Club Romance 
Series: Dirty Eleven #1
Main Characters: Cole and Mia
Release Date: August 2015
Publisher:  Carina
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: erotic


Story Overview:
He's her weapon of choice...

Psychologist Mia Richards wants revenge. Her new client, tattooed Cole "Shank" Shepherd, provides the perfect means. She just has to manipulate the felon-turned-informant into eliminating her husband's killers—members of Cole's rival motorcycle club. The first step, seducing Cole, is simple. As for walking away before she falls hard—it's already too late.…

Dirty Eleven practically raised Cole, and he plans to double-cross the cops rather than sell them out. But smart, sexy Mia is an irresistible distraction. While she's evaluating his mind, all he can think about is her body… until he discovers her true intentions. Walking a fine line between desire and betrayal, they'll have to outrun her past, his enemies and the law for a love that's dangerously real.
 

My Review:

I've read several of Jill Sorenson's other books, so I thought I had a decent handle on her writing style. I was wrong. This book is raw, sexy, and gritty, and definitely skirts the edge of taboo. It was totally much more than I expected from her, but that isn't a bad thing.

For me, Cole made this book. I loved his character and the Catch-22 that he's in.  He has no choices and no matter which way he goes, he's probably going to be killed. What I love about him is that he continues on regardless. I would think it'd be really easy to give up given what he's already gone through and what he still faces. But he doesn't. 

The other thing that I liked about the book is that Mia is a psychologist. She even analyzes herself at times. But no one needs more inner perspective than Cole. He's been really screwed over the years...since his teen years and that's left deep mental scars in how he approaches problems. If anything, prison has helped to calm that all down a bit. He's less reactive now, but I liked how Mia would help show him what he was reacting to in certain situations so that he could then work to fix that...which hopefully would keep him from getting in trouble in the future. 

I have to admit, I wasn't a big fan of Mia's. While Cole grew as a character, she went into a serious downward spiral getting more and more impulsive and more and more dangerous. I understand that she was finding herself again after her husband's death, but I couldn't respect her decisions. By the end, I didn't even really like her much anymore and I hated that because I really enjoyed her at the beginning of the story.

So a bit of a mixed review here. But I am excited about the series. Ace's book is next and I find myself wondering more about his story. There were glimpses of it in this one and just like Cole, he seems like he's really stuck in circumstances that he can't get out of. 

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: