Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Loving the Chase by Sharla Lovelace

Title: Loving the Chase
Author: Sharla Lovelace
My Rating: A+

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: Heart of the Storm #1
Main Characters: Zach and Maddi
Release Date: August 2015
Publisher:  Montlake
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
Charming, adventurous Zach Chase has always craved the spotlight, and now he’s on the hunt for publicity for his family’s storm-chasing business. So when a reality TV network approaches him with the idea for a show profiling their work, he can’t resist. But the last person he expects to walk into the meeting is the former love of his life.

Production assistant Maddi Hayes was once engaged to Zach—until she was almost killed by a tornado he was out chasing. She walked away from her fiancé and their future together, convinced she’d always come second to his dangerous career.

Dreading the show and anxious over working so closely with Zach, Maddi also knows this project could mean big things for her career. If only Zach weren’t still so infuriating…and so infuriatingly sexy. Can they finally let go of their stormy past? Or will the passion still raging between them win in the end?

My Review:
Every time I go into a Sharla Lovelace, I know it's going to be good. But honestly, I keep expecting for one of her books to disappoint me...at least a little bit, but nope...this wasn't that book. In fact, I may even go so far as to say this is one of the best books I've read so far this year. It was so good.

The backstory in this book is heartbreaking. Seven years ago, Maddi survived  a tornado, but the trauma from the day meant that she left Zach and has never come back. It isn't clear what exactly happened that day at first. The story comes out slowly. But a lot of those details are tiny revelations for Zach, too, that he has throughout the story about exactly what he did to Maddi that day. Each one is like a body-blow to the emotions. 

Zach is a storm chaser and is part of a family of a long line of family chasers. In fact, the hobby killed their father. What they do is action-filled, adrenaline-fueled, danger and it's not exactly easy to play second fiddle to that obsession. Maddi got sucked into that life once. She doesn't plan to do it again, no matter how much she still loves Zach. But it's not exactly easy to keep her distance when they are having to work so closely together on the reality show featuring his family...one that she's in charge of. 

The scenes between these two might as well leave smoke sizzling off the page. The emotions and physical sensations are palpable. And as a reader, my heart broke for both of them. Their pain...and love...is so there in front of everyone, and everyone can see it and feel it. I loved how Zach is so underestimated by his entire family and how tied he is to his dead father. The way the entire book was written was just magic. I thought I could stop in the middle of it and get some sleep. I was so wrong, but the loss of sleep was completely worth it. I cannot wait to re-read this one, because it was just that good!

And I have to say, I love this entire family. Eli with his gruff stoicism which is just covering a lot of worry and protectiveness for his entire family. The chemistry between Simon and Quinn...I cannot wait for their book, because Quinn appears to have herself in quite a bind there. Hannah, with her tough girl act...which is just all an act to protect herself. Momma Lou who loves them all and is so straightforward with both Zach and Maddi...I loved her. You know she has to be terrified for her kids, but she supports them in their dreams. And then Gran, who is just simply a character. 

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review, but I had already pre-ordered a print copy and I'm so glad I did because I ADORED this book!

No comments: