Thursday, August 20, 2015

Jake Undone by Penelope Ward (audiobook)


Title: Jake Undone
Author: Penelope Ward
My Rating: A
Narrator: Felicity Munroe, Brian Pallino

Genre: New Adult 
Series: Jake #1
Main Characters: Jake and Nina 
Release Date: October 2013 (2015 for audio)
Publisher: -
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
Nina Kennedy was alive…but not living…until she met him.

Planes, trains, heights…you name it, Nina was afraid of it and led a sheltered life ruled by irrational fears and phobias. When she moves to Brooklyn for nursing school, that life is turned upside down, as she develops an intense but unwanted attraction to her gorgeous roommate, who’s pierced, tattooed and just happens to be the smartest person she’s ever met.

Behind Jake Green’s rough exterior and devilish smile, lies a heart of gold. He makes it his mission to change Nina’s outlook on life. When he agrees to tutor her, they forge a bet and the stakes are high as Jake forces Nina to face her demons. He just wasn’t expecting to fall hard for her in the process.

What Nina doesn’t realize, is that Jake has been living his own private hell. Once he drops a bombshell, will their love survive it?

Told in two parts from both Nina and Jake’s points of view, Jake Undone is a standalone story and a companion to the novel, Gemini.
 

My Review:
Overall: 4.25
Performance: 4.50
Story:4.00

I've never read this author before and honestly have no idea how I ended up picking this one up, but I'm so glad that I did. This was a great story and definitely a riveting listen.

Nina's a young woman about to embark on nursing school in NYC. She's a lot out of her element and struggling with a host of phobias that make the transition even more difficult. Her big brother's best friend lives in NYC and she moves into an apt with him, his girlfriend, and Jake. 

Jake is an enigma. He has the appearance of a tattooed bad boy, but is really en employed engineer. He and Nina form a close friendship pretty much off the bat. He helps her with her math classes and her phobias which brings them in close proximity. But as much time as they spend together, Nina doesn't know why he disappears every weekend. She just knows that she's falling for him. 

The first half of the book is told from Nina's POV and then the second half is told from Jake's. I really liked that about the book. I don't think I would have liked the book near as much if I'd had to stay in Nina's head the whole time. She has some maturity issues which sometimes make her a bit much. 

Although their attraction is pretty much immediate, there is a really slow build to their romance...which I liked. It's obvious that there are hidden reasons why Jake is holding back. (I guessed them way early, but that didn't make it any less shocking when it did finally all come out.)

Although I admittedly LOVED this book. I did have some problems with it too.

Ryan's reaction seemed over the top. I just never got the jerk vibe from him until he was one and that took me totally by surprise. 

Also...Nina's phobias and issues. While I liked what they added to the story to bring her and Jake together, thinking back on it after the fact, that aspect totally didn't work for me. I don't want to post any spoilers, but I would think those would be HUGE flags for Jake. He's been surprised by someone with mental issues before. Why would he get involved with someone else who actually has warning signs of deep mental problems again? Talk about PTSD...I'd think he'd have some in this instance, so that makes the entire premise for these characters ring false. 

But even with that, I did love the book. I enjoyed every minute of listening to it....to the point that I ignored other books I was reading just so I could spend another ten minutes listening to this audiobook for just a bit more. The story line was riveting and even though I thought it had issues after I finished and thought it through, at the time of listening to it, I loved it. And that's where my rating on it comes from. 

Both narrators did a fabulous job.

No comments: