Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Forsaken by Lisa Renee Jones

Title: Forsaken 
Author: Lisa Renee Jones
My Rating: B-

Genre: Romantic Suspense 
Series:The Secret Life of Amy Bensen #3
Main Characters: Chad and Gia
Release Date: August 2015
Publisher: Gallery
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: erotic

Story Overview:
In this third book in the sexy, suspenseful “The Secret Life of Amy Bensen” series from New York Times bestselling author Lisa Renee Jones, we meet Amy’s brother Chad—and the woman who either loves him or wants him dead.

Six years ago, Chad’s hunt for a dangerous treasure turned deadly when his family home was set on fire, his parents killed. Faking his and his sister Amy’s death to protect her from further retaliation, he set her up in a new life with a friend’s help, letting her believe he’d died.

But now the men who hired Chad to find the treasure have found him, imprisoning and torturing him to learn where it’s hidden. A dark-haired beauty named Gia helps him escape, promising him access to his worst enemy. And as he tries to unravel the deep secrets of the past, he starts falling for her…only to discover she’s not what she seems.

Unable to trust anyone, Chad focuses on only two things: protecting his sister Amy and getting revenge. Is love even possible in the midst of heartache?
 


My Review:

This book drove me nuts. I don't know if I've just outgrown this author's writing, or if the book is just that bad. The book only covers a few days where Chad and Gia are on the run...and it's just so repetitive...

  • Don't trust anyone, Gia. Especially not me.
  • I don't believe you, Gia. Now tell me the truth. (and he proves over and over he won't believe anything she says)
  • Do you have the cylinder, Chad? I need to know that I'm fighting for something. I gave up everything for you.
  • You're Sheridan's whore. Why should I trust you?
  • Where are we going? 
  • You don't need to know.
Over and over and over again. Gah...if this book was cut in half and all the repetitiveness was cut out, I might have enjoyed it. As it was, I wanted to throw the book against the wall.

When there's action on the page, the book is great. But for too much of the book it was just a back and forth pull between Gia and Chad, both internally and externally. And that made me sad, because when things were happening, the book was pretty good. In fact, I really enjoyed the last 25% of the book. 

But neither of these characters are in a place where they can trust. Trusting could cost them their lives. I get that that is the source of the conflict...and it's a valid conflict. But it needed to be explored in more varied actions within the story for me to have enjoyed it. Although, I'll admit... I did ultimately like Gia and Chad together AND the full backstory once it was revealed. That all worked for me. I hadn't guessed Gia's final secrets so that worked beautifully for me. I love it when an author can surprise me with a twist.

There's one more book in this series and I do plan to read it, although I may not review it, if I don't have more positive things to say. The overall issue...the cylinder...is so unbelievable to me that I have a feeling I may have a hard time with that book, too. 

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: