Friday, July 10, 2015

Making a Comeback by Kristina Mathews

Title: Making a Comeback
Author: Kristina Mathews
My Rating: B

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: More Than a Game #3
Main Characters: Annabelle and Cooper
Release Date: July 2015
Publisher: Lyrical Press
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy



Story Overview:
With a divorce in the works, Annabelle Jones heads out to Southern California, the land of sun and starting over. She wants to prove to herself and her young daughters that she still has what it takes to turn heads as a swimsuit model—that she doesn’t need a man to take care of her. Until an accident forces her to rely on the hunky, yet mysterious man next door…

Nathan Cooper is trying to revive his own career. Once a top left-handed relief pitcher, he tried to get over a hidden injury with the aid of banned substances. Not only was he caught and suspended, he was traded and missed out on winning the championship. Now he’s a free agent without a contract, and that means life is ready to play ball…


My Review:
Overall this was an entertaining read that kept me engrossed in the story. 

Both Cooper and Annabelle are trying to make a comeback with their lives. For Cooper, that means recovering from surgery and the biggest mistake he ever made. For Annabelle, she's trying to resurrect her super-model career after taking a few years off to raise her twin daughters. She's also in the middle of a divorce. A divorce that's entangled a bit in Cooper's mess too. 

They're next door neighbors...in really tight quarters although it sounded like they lived in houses. But when they go out on their porch at night, they're basically with the next door neighbor if they also happen to be out on their porch. 

Their were several aspects of Cooper's character that I really liked. I love that he has a passion for music...he's not just a jock. He's a talented musician too. I also love that he has a poster of Annabelle's swimsuit cover. Yeah, he's been in love with the fantasy of her for over 10 years. That was actually kind of sweet, although I think if I were her, I might be a little creeped out. But that just goes to show you what a down-to-earth attitude she has toward that fame...she just laughs it off. 

This is a book about two very famous people trying to find their way when their way of life is gone. The twins added a great aspect to the story as only two precocious six year olds can do. 

There were a few moments when I rolled my eyes at a bit of the dialogue and I think things with Annabelle's original injury should have been played up more at the beginning, because it honestly didn't seem like that big of a thing when it happened...not like it did by the end of the story. I think there should have been a bit more drama added into all that story line initially so that it was a BIG thing in the story...not just a minor injury, concussion, and stitches which is how it was portrayed in the story. 

It was a light, entertaining read. I haven't read any of this series before although I'm pretty sure that I have the book right before this one (#2) in my print TBR. Those two characters played a part in this book, so I'm anxious to go back and read their story, now.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: