Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Black Dawn by Cristin Harber

Title: Black Dawn
Author: Cristin Harber
My Rating: A-

Genre: Romantic Suspense
Series: Titan #6
Main Characters: Parker and Lexi
Release Date: July 2015
Publisher: Mill Creek Press
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
Parker Black wants the one woman he shouldn’t have—his buddy’s girl. She sweet and smart, but clueless about how deep Parker lives in Titan’s virtual world. Everything is controlled. Chaos is mastered. Black and white data and risk analyst. That is the way he understands his world, how he plays his role to keep Titan teams alive.

But he’s wrong.

About everything.

Lexi Dare lives two lives. She’s an unhappy fiancé stuck in a spiraling relationship, unsure how she ended up with a ring on her finger and an abuser in her bed. But she’s also elusive. Elite. A master hacker playing deadly stakes.

When the lines blur and the truth comes out, Lexi’s only shot at survival is the trust of her rival—her equal—before it’s too late.


My Review:
I have several books from this series in my to-be-read pile, but I've never actually read this author before and hello...she writes my genre...romantic suspense. And I'll give you a hint...she does a fantastic job with it. 

There are two covert hackers at the center of this novel. SilverChaos is the heroine. In the computer world, she's seriously badass and is developing a new highly-in-demand program that is set to make serious waves. But in her real life, she's Lexi. A girl who grew up being shuffled around the foster system with no place to call home. As a result, when she meets Matt, she just wants to belong to someone. He's good with that and completely views her as a thing that he owns. For such a smart girl, when it comes to this relationship, she's really, really dumb.

SilverChaos has a friend who she helps out online sometimes. That person is BlackDawn. In all actuality he's Parker and works for Titan, a super-sexy, covert military contracting operation. He also happens to be friends with Matt. They've been friends for years, although Parker has no idea who the real Matt is. 

There are a lot of different layers to this story. You have the abusive relationship between Matt and Lexi. Then there's the awesome group aspect that comes from Titan (I do love stories that has that team aspect like is found in Titan.) There is the wonderful geekdom that comes from the hacking world, and although I know nothing about all that they were talking about, I loved that slightly nerdy aspect to these serious kickass characters. Then there's the romance brewing between Parker and Lexi. I loved that despite Matt, that's something that's been between them (their friendship, although they had no idea who the other was in real life) for over ten years. 

It was a great read, overall. I liked the high-octane danger and the incredible chemistry between Parker and Lexi. My only slight complaint came because of Lexi's character. She's this super-smart character, but there were moments when that just didn't come across the page. It started with her relationship with Matt, but there were glimpses of it in other places, too. I just expected her intelligence to come across the page more, but I'm probably being too nit-picky. I know that her relationship with Matt made me more critical of her, even though she had good reasons from her childhood why she stayed. She's a smart girl...it just seemed like she should have been able to take Matt out somehow through her computer skills to give herself time to escape. 

But seriously, that was my only mild niggle with this one. Otherwise, it was super-fun, high-adrenaline reading. I loved the 'nerd' aspect of it especially in light that both of these computer nerds are anything but that. It was fun!

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: