Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Zack by Sawyer Bennett

Title: Zack
Author: Sawyer Bennett
My Rating: B

Genre: Contemporary Romance 
Series: Cold Fury Hockey #3
Main Characters: Zack and Kate
Release Date: June 2015
Publisher: Loveswept
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
New York Times bestselling author Sawyer Bennett goes for a hat trick with the latest romance in a sexy series about cool-as-ice hockey players and the women heating up their lives.

Rising star Zack Grantham has been stuck in a downward spiral of grief ever since the car accident that left him a single dad and put his career on hold. Back on the road with the Carolina Cold Fury and still crippled by emotional baggage, he’s in need of some serious help with his son. But while the nerdy new nanny wins his son’s heart, Zack isn’t sure he’s ready for a woman’s touch—even after getting a glimpse of the killer curves she’s hiding under those baggy clothes.

Kate Francis usually keeps men like Zack at a distance. Though his athlete’s body is honed to perfection, he refuses to move on with his life—and besides, he’s her boss. Still, the sparks between them are undeniable, tempting Kate to turn their professional relationship into a personal one. But before she makes a power play for Zack’s wounded heart, Kate will have to open him up again and show him that love is worth the fight.

My Review:
After reading Garrett and then finding out that Zack was the hero of the next book, I knew this was going to be an angst-filled, emotional story. And it was that, but as much as I love Zack, I think I was infuriated by him just as much in this story. He can be (and was) a real class-A jerk. Who knew he was such an a-hole?

But for me, Kate made this story. She's dorky and nerdy and totally into kids...and they adore her because she is all those things. That makes her the perfect nanny...the job she's doing for Zack now that he's about to come off the disabled list and go back to playing hockey. She's also incredibly admirable just in how conscientious she is and with how hard she's had to work to get to where she is. I LOVED her. BUT she needed to tell Zack where to shove his horny dick.

I get that he is hurting and really doesn't want to like her because she's taking Gina's place in his and Ben's life...so his bad attitude can be excused right at the very first. Although not wanting his kid to hang out with someone like her because her neediness might rub off on him is the ultimate in wrong. Not a hero here folks...seriously!?! But I could have overlooked that if it was just at first, but it continued through the story where he didn't want Kate hanging out with the other hockey girlfriends because that wasn't "her place." O.O Yeah, there were times when I wanted to beat this guy black and blue with a hockey stick because he's just such a self centered jerk. 

But even with all my ranting and complaining here about the hero, I did enjoy reading the book overall. This has been a good series and I really love the Cold Fury guys and girls. I think Ryker is going to have an amazing story too. We got to meet him in this book when he joined the team...a 31 yo goalie on his way toward retirement who just got custody of his two little girls. His could be a really amazing story and I'm looking forward to that one. 

For readers of the series, you still need to read this book, no matter how much I ragged on it. I think you'll be like me...you're gonna grit your teeth over Zack throughout half the book, but in the end will enjoy the book and the flashes we get to see of the other characters from the series. If you haven't read this series yet, don't start with this one unless you just really like heroes who need to grow up.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: