Monday, June 1, 2015

Size Matters by Stephanie Haefner

Title: Size Matters
Author: Stephanie Haefner
My Rating: B-

Genre: Contemporary Romance 
Series: -
Main Characters: Bryn and Eli
Release Date: June 2015
Publisher: Pocket Star
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot


Story Overview:
In this saucy, sexy, laugh-out-loud romp, a lingerie shop owner and single mom falls for the hunky cop who just happens to holster his own perfectly sized weapon.

Bryn, co-owner of Classy ‘n’ Sassy Lingerie shop with her best friend Mia, is ready to get back out in the dating world after losing her husband to the war overseas. Diving into bad first dates, online set-ups, and guys who just can’t get the message, Bryn can’t stop thinking about Eli, the sexy neighborhood cop who’s also a great dad. But between Bryn’s dead husband and Eli’s messy divorce, will these two have what it takes to overcome their baggage and fan the flames between them?

My Review:
This is one of those books. I honestly tried to DNF it several times because I simply did not like the heroine. A lot of the time she's shallow, a bit bi-polar, and sometimes a truly awful person. But the story was one of those that sucked me in. I'd put it down and then would pick it back up again.

The writing wasn't bad...again, my issues were with a single character. Bryn is conflicted. It's been 2 years since her husband died. She's lonely and wants to find love again. She thought Eli was the solution because they mesh together really well, but then a series of false-starts makes her double think that and she decides it's time for her to really start dating. Overall, I could understand that and her thinking, but it hit a point there where her wishy-washy actions just got to be too much...and then I just felt bad for all the guys she's stringing along...and her parents who get mixed up in all the craziness too. At times, she's just too over the top with her reactions. 

But I loved Eli's character. Seriously, talk about a hero you can fall in love with, especially with the fact that he really wanted to be with Bryn. He's a stand-up guy and willing to do what it takes to make a relationship work. Add in the fact that he's a protective, alpha cop and I really did love him. 

I also liked the set up of the sex toy shop, although the thing with the dildo models (I'm guessing this was a previous story line in another book) was a little bit creepy. Seriously, how would they have even gone about doing that whole process? It just seems wrong...and the fact that the kids were coming in and out of the shop was so, so, so much more wrong. But I did like the whole set up of the lingerie show and party at the club, especially that they were aiming the party at women and gay men.

So, this one was a hit or miss for me. I didn't like the heroine. I loved the hero. The overall storyline was good, but a few things about the execution bothered me. I think that others could like it more than I did. My issue was with a single character and just like with real life, not every person gets along with every other person, so it's very likely that you won't have the same issues with Bryn. 

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: