Monday, June 1, 2015

Out in the Blue by Kelly Jensen

Title: Out In the Blue
Author: Kelly Jensen
My Rating: A

Genre: Contemporary Romance (m/m)
Series: Dreamspinner Press 2015 Daily Dose
Main Characters: Jared and Fin
Release Date: June 2015
Publisher: Dreamspinner
Links to Purchase:
Goodreads (will have buy links)
Sexual Intensity: hot



Story Overview:
At forty-five, Jared Tailler suddenly feels old. When his employer grounds him, he starts thinking in terms of measuring his coffin. Well, not quite, but he’s creakier and hairier than he was ten years ago, and his closest relationship is the one he has with his frequent-flyer card. 

It’s time to get out there.  

On the first day of a five-day hiking trip, he meets Finley Macrae, a younger, seemingly brighter man. As they inch together in halting steps, Jared learns he’s not the only one lost out in the blue—Fin’s good cheer hides a turbulence deeper than Jared’s midlife crisis. Maybe together they can find the trail to happiness.

A story from the Dreamspinner Press 2015 Daily Dose package "Never Too Late."


My Review:
I truly loved this story. It's short...will only take about an hour to read, but it's packed full of depth and emotion. A lot of things hit my "YES" buttons for this one...the characters are hiking a portion of the Appalachian Trail...I also loved that they're more mature and dealing with mid-life stuff...Jared-his inner voice kept me giggling and smiling. As someone who's almost 45, I could relate to him even if I'm not a guy.

So this book...the premise is that it's a hiking tour for gay men...five days on the Appalachian Trail. Each man has their own reason for being there. For Jared, this is part of his mid-life crisis. He's 45 and just had a shock at work which has kind of left him spinning, wondering how he got to this point in his life and if there's some way to change all that?

The entire book is told from Jared's point of view and I really loved him. I don't really think it's so much that he's dissatisfied with his life. Rather he's lost in a web of "is this all there is for the next 45 years?" Flat out, he's lonely, but doesn't make connections well or easily. 

On the opposite side of that is Fin, Jared's hiking buddy and roommate. He's 36 and teaches high school students. He's always happy and personable, but that's not all there is to him. He has a valid, emotional reason for being on this trip too. 

The trip is only five days so you would think this is an insta-love book...it's not. There's a slow build-up between the guys. Though they both are unsettled with where they are, that doesn't mean they're willing to jump into something with one another with both feet. I really loved the way their relationship developed. It felt real and true. 

And mixed in with all this was the hiking. Kelly Jensen did a gorgeous job integrating those outdoor senses and scenery seamlessly into the story. I feel like I've been on a trip this morning and I never left my couch. It was just an all-around really good read. I highly recommend it. 

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: