Friday, June 26, 2015

A Matter of Time Vol 2 by Mary Calmes

Title: A Matter of Time Vol. 2
Author: Mary Calmes
My Rating: A

Genre: Romantic Suspense (m/m)
Series: A Matter of Time #3 and #4
Main Characters: Jory and Sam
Release Date: August 2010
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot



Story Overview:
Vol. 2 (Books Three and Four)

Three years ago, Jory Harcourt changed his name and shut the door on a past full of pain, only to emerge stronger on the other side. He has a new career, a great working partner, and a satisfying life—except for the hole in his chest left behind when police Detective Sam Kage walked out with his heart.



Now Sam's back and he knows what he wants... and what he wants is Jory. Jory, who doesn't know if he can survive another break up or losing Sam to his dangerous job, resists returning to the arms of the only man he has ever truly loved. But when a serial killer with a score to settle targets Jory, he will have to decide if love is worth the danger as he tries to solve the case and keep Sam safe.
My Review:

3 years?!? OMG, 3 years...you have got to be kidding me. *sob* Since the first volume in this series ended on a cliffhanger, I expected this one to pick up about where that one left off, but no...it started 3 years later. And OMG, those years for Sam and Jory have been spent apart. No!!!

Seriously, when I realized how much time had passed for these two guys, my heart simply broke. I love both of them, but I love them together. But their separation is not the only thing that's changed in that interim. The book starts with Dane's wedding. What?! Whoa, I did NOT see that one coming, but it was a great twist for his character. And there are a lot of twists for his character in this book...although I will admit to some disappointment that his character didn't seem quite as engaged in this book. No, this book was all about Sam and Jory.

And now I don't even know where to go in this review so that I don't give away spoilers. Sam left for a reason and on the surface Jory knew that, but that doesn't mean he's willing to forgive and forget or put himself out there ever again. But he's also had a serious boyfriend during that time too...Aaron. Seriously every single time I thought about Aaron and Jory and how serious they became while Sam was missing I wanted to rage and sob. (Can you tell how emotionally involved I am with these characters? sigh) But Jory is a realist. He knows that he's not the guy for Aaron. At this point in his life, he's pretty sure that he will never be that guy for anyone. So he drinks too much, sleeps around too easily, and never, ever commits. Sam's leaving broke him.

But Sam had his reasons and although I hated him for doing it, they (kind of) made sense. But this author is brilliant in that she put Jory in the same kind of headspace Sam was in when he left, so suddenly Jory understood why Sam had to do what he did, too. Watching Jory spiral in those days though was scary. There were a few "too stupid to live" moments that made me want to throw my book against the wall (Not that I could EVER do that to a book, but gah...)

The book was amazing and once again I fell in love with Sam and Jory. I love how gruff and scary Sam is compared to Jory's charm and personable personality. I especially loved Jory's tenacity and really amazing intelligence in being able to read people and think things through when Sam was endangered. He'd make an incredible investigator and I can't wait to see what the author does with his newfound skills in the following books. 

I have them all on order, although I probably won't get a chance to read them until halfway through the summer. I'm thinking they will be my vacation reads. Yay for a newfound amazing series and author.

No comments: