Thursday, June 25, 2015

A Matter of Time Vol. 1 by Mary Calmes

Title: A Matter of Time Vol. 1
Author: Mary Calmes
My Rating: A

Genre: Romantic Suspense (m/m)
Series: A Matter of Time #1 and #2
Main Characters: Jory and Same
Release Date: August 2010
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
Vol. 1 (Books One and Two)

Jory Keyes leads a normal life as an architect’s assistant until he is witness to a brutal murder. Though initially saved by police Detective Sam Kage, Jory refuses protective custody—he has a life he loves that he won’t give up no matter who is after him. But Jory’s life is in real jeopardy, especially after he agrees to testify about what he saw.

While dealing with attempts on his life, well-meaning friends who want to see him happy, an overly protective boss, and a slowly unfolding mystery that is much more sinister than he could ever imagine, the young gay man finds himself getting involved with Sam, the conflicted and closeted detective. And though Jory may survive the danger, he may not survive a broken heart.
My Review:

I read and adored All Kinds of Tied Down, which is a follow up book to this series. I honestly had no idea that was a spin off book until some of my fellow Twitter readers let me know (I seriously love all my book friends on Twitter). 

This book is about Sam Kage (Miro and Ian's commander from AKoTD) when he met Jory. I love m/m stories where one of the heroes was previously straight. In this story that character is Sam and I loved watching him fall for Jory...and he fought it for a long time. Sam is a take-charge, seriously alpha police detective. He's big and tough and gruff...and a lot of the time really, really grumpy. Jory is the exact opposite. He's a party guy who takes life as it comes with a smile and charm. He's one of those people that everyone loves because he's just that nice and fun of a guy. And Sam can't resist him either. 

The problem is that Jory witnessed a murder and is now being hunted, but he refuses to give up his life and go into protective custody. So Sam has become a bit of a stalker. He doesn't want Jory to end up dead. I loved how Sam showed up every time Jory was out and somewhat of a mess. In fact, I loved everything about Sam and his gruff, but obvious, infatuation with Jory. 

But Jory isn't just the simple, good guy he appears to be. His backstory with his family broke my heart. He should be a messed up guy and he really is...he just hides it really well behind alcohol and party times with anonymous hook-ups. I love how that begins to change when Sam begins to show up and save him. But he's also not alone in this world like it seems at first. He has his boss, Dane. I loved how seeing that relationship emerge and morph throughout the story, too. Jory doesn't realize just how much of an affect he has on other people...this is especially true when it comes to Dane, who is almost as messed up as Jory. 

The entire book is told from Jory's point of view and I challenge you not to fall in love with him. But I fell in love with Sam, too. I love these two guys and can't wait to follow more of their love story in the next book. 

And you should also note that this book is also a suspense story. There is danger and intrigue and tons of action throughout the story that kept me on the edge of my seat. Loved this book!!

The whole book was amazing. But be warned...if you pick up this book, you need to have Vol 2 sitting in your TBR pile, because it ends on a serious, heartbreaking cliffhanger. 


No comments: