Saturday, May 30, 2015

Rescuing the Bad Boy by Jessica Lemmon

Title: Rescuing the Bad Boy
Author: Jessica Lemmon
My Rating: B+

Genre: Contemporary Romance 
Series: Second Chance #2
Main Characters: Donovan and Sofie
Release Date: May 2015
Publisher: Forever
Links to Purchase:

Sexual Intensity: hot


Story Overview:
NOT ALL SCARS HEAL

For Donovan Pate, the lake town of Evergreen Cove is a minefield of tough memories—including the day he had to let go of Sofie Martin. Years later, he still can’t forget the taste of her lips and the feel of her killer curves. He knows he’s too damaged, that he should stay away for her own good. But what the head says and the heart wants are two very different things…

Seven years ago, Donovan broke Sofie’s heart. Now her career depends on playing nice in order to pull off the charity fundraiser of the decade. She vows to keep things professional…yet working by his side every day doesn’t make it easy to fight temptation, and it isn’t long before she finds herself falling for this bad boy all over again. But loving Donovan means helping him face his past–so they can fight for a future together.
 

My Review:
Honestly, I think this book was better than I give it credit for. I read it and enjoyed it...don't get me wrong here. But it took me 4 days to get through it and that isn't normal for me. Normally I read a book a day at the minimum. Did this book just catch me at the wrong time? I'm thinking so, because thinking back over it, there wasn't a thing I didn't like. In fact, I loved the story of Donovan and the torment he's been through...both through his childhood and his own self-flagellation. But something about the book just didn't grab me and hold me in its clutches like most stories do. Like I said, I really think it was me. (and now this is starting to sound like a bad date, isn't it? Yikes...on to the review.)

Donovan and Sofie have a dark history. He was an abused, angry guy. She was the only person who truly saw him and made him feel like maybe he was worth something. But when he stole her virginity, he left, full of self-hate for spoiling all her goodness. But now Donny is back home having to settle his grandmother's estate which pulls him right back into Sofie's circle. And once again, he can't resist the allure of her goodness and that when he's with her, he feels whole...the only time that ever happens for him.

Donovan's story broke my heart...because he is so broken. But he feels so much more and better when Sofie is with him. The emotion of this book is brilliantly done, especially for Donovan. Every nuance of his feelings was right there on the page...breaking my heart. He's positive that he's too broken to ever be enough for someone as good as Sofia, no matter how much he cares for her. 

There's a sub-story of the house being used for a charity auction for abused children that tied in so perfectly with Donovan's story line. Between that and the dog story...LOVE. My only complaint is that I just didn't feel like we got to know Sofia to the depth that we did Donovan. She's there and very active in the story, but it felt like mostly surface details for her...her turmoil over trusting Donny again and wanting him. The story never went much deeper for her. She was just a prop to tell his story. And yes, I know that he's the "bad boy" so it's supposed to be all about him. I just wanted a bit more for her.

But this was an entertaining read and I continue to enjoy the series. I love all the characters. Both the hero and heroine for the next book were introduced in this one and I'm excited about their story. I've already pre-ordered that book.



1 comment:

Lover Of Romance said...

Sometimes that happens to me as well...if I am not in the right mood for a story I don't usually enjoy it as much as I think I would if I were in the right frame of mind. I do plan on buying this soon though unless it comes to my library...I will have to look into that. They are pretty good at updating. Hope you are enjoying your weekend. Happy Reading.