Thursday, May 14, 2015

Dead Heat by Patricia Briggs (audiobook)


Title: Dead Heat
Author: Patricia Briggs
My Rating: A
Narrator: Holter Graham

Genre: Urban Fantasy 
Series: Alpha and Omega #4
Main Characters: Charles and Anna
Release Date: March 2015
Publisher: Brilliance Audio
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: mild

Story Overview:
The new Charles and Anna novel
Praised as "the perfect blend of action, romance, suspense and paranormal" (Rex Robot Reviews), the Alpha and Omega novels transport listeners into the realm of the werewolf, where Charles Cornick and Anna Latham embody opposite sides of the shifter personality. Now a pleasure trip drops the couple into the middle of some bad supernatural business.... 
For once, mated werewolves Charles and Anna are not traveling because of Charles' role as his father's enforcer. This time their trip to Arizona is purely personal, as Charles plans to buy Anna a horse for her birthday. Or at least it starts out that way.... 
Charles and Anna soon discover that a dangerous Fae being is on the loose, replacing human children with simulacrums. The Fae's cold war with humanity is about to heat up - and Charles and Anna are in the cross fire.
My Review:
Overall: 4.5
Performance: 4.5
Story: 4.5

I know that I'm in the minority here, but I've always found this series from Patricia Briggs to be my favorite. I just love the romance and surprising relationship between Anna and Charles. So I was really, really excited to hear they were getting another book. 

In this story, Anna and Charles are in Arizona and it's incredibly good timing since a Fae has decided to attack the family of one of Charles's oldest friends. This book has the feel of a romantic suspense just because there is this rogue fae out there that Anna and Charles are helping to track down. This all takes place in the horse world, with a family that Charles has old ties to. 

Overall, I really enjoyed the story. There were a lot of different layers and aspects to it with the horses, Indian lore and superstition, witchcraft, and some really interesting characters. I loved the Cantrip agent, Leeds. I enjoyed the whole wood fae story in the back garden. I liked the surprising couple of Dr. Vaughn and Darin...their story line kept me smiling every time they were on the page. I liked them.

There was an interesting family dynamic within the Sani family, but Kage was the absolute best. Holter Graham has an incredible talent of exuding personalities through his voices in the audiobooks and I'm not sure how much of the characters I liked were because of their actual story lines or the way that he interpreted their voice rhythms. He's a great narrator. This book had a HUGE cast of characters and every single one of them had their own voice. The only one's that didn't feel quite right were the two very young children, but I'm okay with that, because I loved all the rest of his voices so much. 

I love this series. There are only 4 books out in it so far and I HIGHLY recommend them in audio. They just seem so much richer and "more" through the audio versions. I love it!

No comments: