Saturday, May 9, 2015

Black Rainbow by J.J. McAvoy

Title: Black Rainbow
Author: J.J. McAvoy
My Rating: A+

Genre: New Adult
Series: -
Main Characters: Levi and Thea
Release Date: May 2015
Publisher: NYLA
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: erotic

Story Overview:
A sweet and steamy New Adult Romance from Amazon bestselling author of the Ruthless People series, J.J. McAvoy… 

After an erotic one-week fling with a musician she meets in a bar, Thea Cunning never expects to see Levi Black again. Then Monday morning comes around, and she discovers that her former lover is not only her professor, but he’s also one of the top criminal lawyers in the state of Massachusetts. 

With everyone in class vying to be one of the twelve disciples—a group of twelve students that Professor Black takes under his wing—tensions run high. Thea considers dropping his class, given their passionate week together and their undeniable chemistry. After all, there are other (less infuriatingly sexy) law professors on campus. 

But to accomplish her goal and get her father out of prison, Thea knows she needs to learn under the best of the best—and that’s Levi Black. 

But can she learn under the best, without being under the best?

My Review:
This is the first book I've ever read by J.J. McAvoy, and it was so freaking good. I loved this story and all the twists and turns that continued to take me by surprise all the way until the end of the book. 

This is a book about Thea, a law student, and Levi, an uber-successful lawyer and professor. They meet the week before classes start and have amazing, immediate chemistry. That week is all about the sex so they really don't talk details. So it's a huge surprise on Monday morning to find that Thea is a student in Levi's class. 

The book is divided into three sections and I love the way that the author wrote it. The book is written in 1st person POV and alternates between mainly Thea and Levi (although there were a couple of other sections from other people, too.) The first section switches back and forth from present day to the 7 days that Thea and Levi spent together having an amazingly hot, and emotionally binding affair...even if they never intended it to go that way. It's a fantastic build-up to how their relationship developed and I loved the unusual way the author wrote it. It definitely sucked me in from pretty much page one. 

Although, I have to admit...I loved that initial scene with Levi's best friend, Tristan, and his guy liner. It was an amazing introduction to him especially with how vital a role he plays in Thea's life and drama later. I loved his character and his wife, Bethan, for what they brought to the story.

There are lots of twists and turns to this story, but I'm really not going to discuss them because I don't want to give away any of the shocking and surprising details. The familial aspect of the story for both characters was incredibly well-developed and plotted. I loved all those little twist. 

And I loved Thea and Levi. They are so amazing together, but they are both brilliant, intelligent people...so there's none of that contrived drama that so many books utilize. They are professor and student so there is definitely a conflict to their relationship....and that's seriously just the tip of the iceberg of complications. But they also realize that what they have is something special...and you know, they're lawyers...so they know a bit about how to twist to make something work. 

I loved every minute of reading the book...and shed more than a few tears at the end. I did not see all that coming. Whoa...It's GOOD. Have I mentioned that? You need to read it. I think you'll probably like it, too.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review, but I'm really hoping it comes out in print so I can buy a copy of it for my keeper shelf.

1 comment:

Renee B said...

I do like those twists and turns...adding this one to my list. Great review and enjoy your weekend.