Monday, April 27, 2015

Who I Am with You by Melody Anne


Title: Who I Am With You
Author: Melody Anne
My Rating: B

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: Unexpected Heroes #1.5
Main Characters: Taylor and Travis
Release Date: April 2015
Publisher: Pocket Star
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: mild

Story Overview:
A spinoff of Melody Anne’s New York Times bestselling Billionaire Bachelors series, this entrancing e-novella features motocross racer Taylor Winchester and little sister to Hawk, the hero of “Safe in His Arms” from the romance anthology Baby, It’s Cold Outside.

As a motocross rider, Taylor Winchester has made a career out of throwing herself headfirst into danger, as fiercely as any of the guys racing against her. But after a brutal crash, she takes a little forced R&R while her injuries heal. Her mom wishes she’d settle down, find love, maybe have a baby or two…but all Taylor wants is to get back on her bike. 



She heads to her brother Hawk’s cabin to get a little peace and quiet—but is shocked to discover she’s not the only inhabitant. Ex-military man Travis, her high school crush, has also borrowed the cabin, and the two of them are each too stubborn to let the other one win. Nothing left to do but share the cabin…which quickly leads to sharing a bed! As Taylor and Travis discover that the heat between them is far more than a fling, they both struggle with letting go of control. But if they learn to give a little, what they could win is worth more than any prize…
My Review:
This is a short, light read about two people occupying the same remote cabin...not exactly big in the creative department, but it was entertaining enough to read. What is creative is that the heroine is a motocross racer, recovering from a bad accident...definitely not a normal occupation for most heroines in romance. And I liked that she was  tough and independent, until that went to the extreme. I know that you're supposed to have drama at the end of a story for the climax, but that just seemed contrived. She's not stupid and I find it hard to believe that she would do the things she did at the end of this story. BUT...that's my personal two cents. 

I did enjoy the backstory between the characters and found that to be believable...although there were issues in this ARC about whether that happened 3 years ago or 6 years. I'm thinking that's something that will have been fixed by the final copy. At least I hope so, because that's a big difference between 23 and 26 for where Taylor is in her career and ability to heal and bounce back.

Travis, the hero, has just been medically discharged after and IED explosion screwed up his peripheral vision. They are both recovering and I wish the author had exploited that a bit more, because that's some serious common ground for the two of them, especially with Taylor's paranoia issues after her brain trauma. The groundwork was all there for what could have been some great moments between the two of them, but didn't quite pay out. 

But what is there are some hot scenes skinny dipping and a sweet playing in the rain scene that I loved. Like I said, for what was there, it was entertaining. I just hate that the author didn't expand on the great foundation she built to make it a great book...and I know that's not all that easy to do in a novella format. But I'm still looking forward to reading more from her. 

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: