Thursday, March 5, 2015

The Trouble with Love by Lauren Layne


Title: The Trouble with Love
Author: Lauren Layne
My Rating: A+


Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: Sex, Love, and Stilettos #4
Main Characters: Emma and Alex
Release Date: March, 2015
Publisher: Loveswept
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
As Lauren Layne’s salacious Sex, Love & Stiletto series returns, a jaded columnist discovers a steamy way to get over an old flame: falling for him all over again.
 
As Stiletto magazine’s authority on all things breakup-and-heartache, Emma Sinclair writes from personal experience. Five years ago, Emma was Charlotte, North Carolina’s darling debutante and a blushing bride-to-be. Now she’s the ice queen of the Manhattan dating scene. Emma left her sultry Southern drawl behind, but not even her closest friends know that with it she left her heart. Now Emma’s latest article forces her to face her demons—namely, the devilishly sexy guy who ditched her at the altar. 
 
After giving up everything for a pro-soccer career, Alex Cassidy watches his dreams crumble as a knee injury sidelines him for good. Now he’s hanging up his cleats and giving journalism a shot. It’s just a coincidence that he happens to pick a job in the same field, and the same city, as his former fiancée . . . right? But when Emma moves in next door, it’s no accident. It’s research. And Alex can’t help wondering what might have been. Unlike the innocent girl he remembers, this Emma is chic, sophisticated, and assertive—and she wants absolutely nothing to do with him. The trouble is, Alex has never wanted her more.
 

Includes a special message from the editor, as well as an excerpt from another Loveswept title.
My Review:
This book makes it official...I'm a fangirl. I discovered Lauren Layne last year and two of her books made my top reads of the year. But yet, I've never read this series...and this is book #4. Why haven't I read the other three? OMG, this book was so, so, so good. Seriously, this girl can write with so much emotion and humor and sensitivity. I'm in awe and yes, I'm totally fangirling here. 

So the point of this review: YOU NEED TO BUY THIS BOOK!

What? That's not enough? Okay...I guess I can gush a bit more. 

Alex and Emma have a history...a big one. They met in college, fell in love, and then both had their hearts shattered on the eve of their wedding. All that happened in North Carolina. So it's quite a surprised that somehow they both ended up in NYC, working for the same parent publishing company, and with the same circle of friends. They've survived being around each other for the past year by basically pretending the other doesn't exist. They're civil and polite, but it NEVER goes any further than that. Until Alex has to come work for three months as Emma's boss at her magazine. Then it becomes not so easy for them to survive being in each other's small circle. 

This book...just WOW. There is so much emotion. Both of these people were devastated by what happened between them. So much so that in the 7 years since, they truly haven't lived...either one. I loved the way Lauren Layne wrote the story. Emma has to do a feature article for the magazine about 12 of her ex's and as she interviews them, she realizes how truly damaged she is. She's never seen it until guy after guy after guy talks about the fact that she never smiles. It's powerful. It's emotional. And it's truly one of the most gorgeous books I've ever read. 

The circle of friends reminded me of the movie HOW TO LOSE A GUY IN 10 DAYS. It had that fabulous NYC vibe that movie had and made for a great setting for the book. Immediately when I finished it, I got online and downloaded the three books prior to it and plan to devour them as soon as I have a break in my schedule. My only complaint...I WANT and NEED these books in print for my keeper shelf. I'm begging Loveswept....please, please, please send these over to your print side and print some copies. I'll pay for them...a lot if you need me to. Just contact me and I'll give you my payment information. ;) PLEASE!!

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: