Thursday, March 12, 2015

The Last Light of Dusk by Joanne Lockyer

Title: The Last Light of Dusk
Author: Joanne Lockyer
My Rating: A

Genre: Historical Romance 
Series: Unexpected Heroes #1
Main Characters: Rachel and Jonathon
Release Date: July 2014
Publisher: Lion Heart Media
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: mild

Story Overview:
She’s the brilliant granddaughter of England’s most infamous privateer

When Rachel Cavanagh is rescued from drowning by English seafarer Jonathon Lecky, her life is irreparably changed. Despite the briefness of their meeting amidst the chaos of the wreck, a bond of trust is formed between her and the rugged, unconventional boat captain. Lauded for her survival, her family and indeed all of England would have her marry Britain's most eligible bachelor. Still, her dreams of exploring far away places and the storm-gray eyes of a handsome seafarer call to her soul….

He’s the adventure she’s been longing for

Returning to England’s shores with wrongs to redress after eight years in North Africa, the shadows that have chased Jonathon Lecky across continents allow no place in his life for romance. Yet when he again meets the woman he rescued but can’t forget, he knows someone has to show the captivating shipping heiress that it’s right to want something different….
 


My Review:
As most of my review readers know, I am not much of a historical reader anymore (20 years ago, I devoured them like candy). Honestly they just tend not to capture my attention anymore, but every once in a while I have a book recommended to me and I will give it a try. This was one of those books and I absolutely LOVED the book. 

This is a stunning book. It begins with a TON of adventure and suspense as a boat's captain, Jonathon Lecky finds and rescues two survivors from a shipwreck. First, the blind but handsome and kind, Marquess Rossum and second, the adventurer and granddaughter of a famous privateer, Rachel Cavanagh. The book then follows over two years as Rachel discovers the self she's meant to be and the two men who love her. 

The book is beautifully written and I loved the underlying message about making your own decisions in life. Rachel is a heroine finding her way to that. The Marquess is a man trapped by his place in life. And Jonathon is the one who made his own way years ago and is dealing with the repercussions of those decisions. 

There is tons of action and adventure and I loved all three characters, although I desperately wanted so much more for Rossum...man, I really loved him and his perseverance and honesty throughout the book. I loved how much he loved Rachel and NEED for him to find an HEA. Maybe the author has plans for him later. And Rachel made for a great heroine. She knows what she wants in life, but just hasn't matured enough to be willing to stand up for herself about those things. I loved that Jonathon pushed her and helped to make her stronger. He could see her unspoken needs. And then there's Jonathan...a truly swashbuckling hero. His backstory, when it eventually all comes out, was perfect and made me love him even more. 

Every moment I spent reading this book was a good one and I'm so happy that I got to read it. The love for ship-building and the sea permeated the pages and the author created beautiful, evocative scenery that made the reading of it a pure pleasure. 


No comments: