Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Nothing Like Paris by Amy Jo Cousins

Title: Nothing Like Paris
Author: Amy Jo Cousins
My Rating: B

Genre: Contemporary Romance (m/m)
Series: Bend or Break #2
Main Characters: Jack and Miguel
Release Date: March 2015
Publisher: Samhain
Links to Purchase:Amazon
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
Humble pie wasn’t supposed to taste this sweet.

Jack Tarkington’s life is in the toilet. He was supposed to be spending his junior year studying someplace cool like Paris or Rome. Instead, after taking out his anger on the campus “golden boy”, whose dad ripped off his parents, Jack is facing possible expulsion.

Sure, it’s all his own fault, but coming back to the small Iowa town he thought he’d escaped, after crowing about his admission to a prestigious school, has been a humbling experience.

When he runs into Miguel, Jack braces for backlash over the way he lorded it over his old friend and flame. Instead, Miguel offers him friendship—and a job at his growing farm-to-table store and café.

Against the odds, both guys bond over broken dreams and find common ground in music. But when Jack’s college gives him a second chance, he’s torn between achieving a dream that will take him far from home, and a love that strikes a chord he’ll never find anywhere else.


Warning: This book contains a humbled guy who’s on the brink of losing it all, a determined entrepreneur who seems to have it all together, apologies issued through banjo-picking duets, and two lovers who can play each other’s bodies like virtuosos.


My Review:
While I did enjoy reading this book overall, there was one major flaw in it for me...Jack. I just never felt like he truly reformed. While I absolutely understood him better after this book and could feel for him and his struggles, I didn't feel like he truly grew when it came to his relationship with Miguel. At the end of the book, he was still making the same mistakes when it came to Mike. 

But back to my review...I rate my books based upon how much I enjoy a book and I did enjoy reading this one. I liked the romance in that the guys were such good friends and have such a long history between them. Friends to lovers almost always works for me.

It was good to get to read Jack's background and watching him grow as a person and discover a bit more about his potential. I loved his realization about bullying and the steps that brought him to that. 

I also liked Mike's story line with the family farm and how that separated him and Jack originally. I really did enjoy the way Mike's story played out with his father. A father wants what's best for his child so that worked, although the miscommunication was idiotic...all it took was a few simple sentences and the fact that his father let that fester for so long simply didn't make any sense. 

With the addition of Jack's Al-Anon meetings, something should be said about co-dependency. There's a definite bit of that to their relationship that bordered on unhealthy. Mike needs to be able to save Jack from himself, which just enables Jack's unhealthy choices. It's not a good mix.

So there were a few highs and lows with this book. On the surface, it was a good read, but thinking back on things, there were a few things that bugged me. The worst though was that I can't see Miguel and Jack working once the purely physical attraction fades and real stress of life gets in the way. I just can't see their HEA lasting long-term. That may just be me, but I needed more from Jack that showed he understood and respected Miguel's choices, even if he didn't like them.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

1 comment:

Vanessa Romano said...

I think all in all I'm glad I didn't grab this one.