Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Falling by Barbara Elsborg


Title: Falling
Author: Barbara Elsborg
My Rating: A

Genre: Contemporary Romance (m/m)
Series: Fall or Break #1
Main Characters: Harper and Malachi
Release Date: March 2015
Publisher: Samhain
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
Falling is easy. Landing without breaking your heart? Impossible.

Harper is no longer behind bars, but it doesn’t feel like it. Ten years serving time for a crime he didn’t commit have left him shut down, numb, and a frozen wreck over the simplest of choices.

He’s acutely aware of the dark-haired young man checking him out in the supermarket, but he’s too deep in panic mode to even meet the guy’s gaze. Afraid the slightest move will trigger a fall that will never stop.

Fresh off a long-term relationship with a controlling man, Malachi is stuck living with relatives who think he’s a waste of oxygen. The tall guy in the long, gray coat is the first bright spot he’s glimpsed in a long time…though the man’s unblinking stare at a bottle of shower gel is a touch alarming.

Hard experience tells both of them to turn away before lust turns to hopeless attraction, and inevitably to disaster. But once their sparks connect, the arc of electricity is too strong to deny. Even if the cost is too much to bear.

Warning: Contains an ex-con with disaster written all over him, a boy toy who’s trouble with a capital T, a damp old British house, compulsive meddling, and enough hot sex to cure the severe case of nervous babbling.
 


My Review:
Ten years in jail for a crime that you didn't commit...age 24-34. Can you imagine that horror? Harper's crime...being a teacher who cared too much so that it made him look even more guilty when he was accused of raping one of his students and assaulting another. This is every person's nightmare and it made this story so compelling, because you know that this happens. To go inside the life of the person who suffered because of it...heartbreaking. My heart tore in two for Harper. He's so emotionally stunted now. He doesn't know how to function, to trust, to touch, to relate. But then he meets Malachi.

Malachi has his own set of heartbreaking circumstances. He finally managed to break himself off from a bad relationship, but it caused him to lose his job, his place to live, and any sense of self and independence. Now he's having to rely on his brother in law to let him live with them, although he's over and above domineering, abusive, and homophobic.

Everything about this book was heart-rending and I couldn't put it down. Over and over things go from bad to worse for these two. They simply can't catch a break and I wasn't sure how in the world they would ever come out of this story with a happy ending. But that end...wow. Incredible and I so can't wait for book #2 in this series... whoops, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Malachi absolutely made this book. Over and over I'd smile at his sense of humor and his incredible ability to pull Harper out of his shell. Malachi absolutely is the best thing that could have happened to Harper and I loved the two of them together. Malachi is one of those guys that you can't help but fall in love with. He has a sense of honesty even when it is a detriment to him that I had to respect. I loved his approach to everything in the book and when I found out the details of his childhood and brother, my heart broke for him even more.

Harper...he loved kids and teaching...and he's lost everything. He's not even allowed to be around kids. Ever. For the rest of his life. That's devastating. And to be labeled a sexual offender for the rest of his life...the stigma of that is overwhelming. Like I said...this book is amazing and I'm so glad I accepted it for review. Harper and Malachi make the perfect couple!

And they are hot together. It's been a while for both men (well, more than a while for Harper) and their anxiousness and desperation played out so sexily in their sex scenes. I loved that honesty. It was incredibly hot. 

Now, I'm so ready. Bring on book #2. The plot sounds amazing, but I cannot wait to see what the author does with HIM...OMG. I can't wait!!

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

1 comment:

Barbara Elsborg said...

LOL - liked it then!! Thanks so much.