Monday, February 2, 2015

The Merchant of Death by Lisa Henry and J.A. Rock



Title: The Merchant of Death
Author: Lisa Henry and J.A. Rock
My Rating: A


Genre: Romantic Suspense (m/m)
Series: Playing the Fool #2
Main Characters: Mac and Henry
Release Date: February 2015
Publisher: Riptide Publishing
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
All’s fair in love and war.

There’s something rotten in the state of Indiana. When con man Henry Page takes it upon himself to investigate the death of an elderly patient at a care facility, he does so in true Shakespearean tradition: dressed as a girl.

FBI Agent Ryan “Mac” McGuinness has more to worry about than Henry’s latest crazy idea. Someone is trying to send him a message—via a corpse with a couple of bullets in it. He needs to figure out who’s trying to set him up before he gets arrested, and he really doesn’t have time for Henry’s shenanigans. Then again, he’d probably be able to focus better if Henry didn’t look so damn distracting in a babydoll dress and a wig.

But when Mac discovers that Henry has been keeping a secret that connects the cases, he has to find a way to live on the right side of the law when he just might be in love with the wrong sort of man.


My Review:
No way! That's where this book ends? There? OMG, I have never been so shocked to see the end of a book as I was in this one. The book wasn't over. No, just nope. I could handle the sort of non-ending in the first book, but this one... Well, let's just say that I am SO FREAKING THANKFUL that there isn't a long wait until book #3 comes out. Seriously!?!

So this book...first of all, you need to know that this is a series of three books. You need to read all three books in order to get the full effect of the story because the romantic story line does flow and develop over the three books. 

And now I'm going to talk specifically about this book. If you haven't read the first book, then stop reading this book review now. I don't want you to read any spoilers about that first book. 

In this book, we learn a lot more about Henry and how exactly he got into the position of someone who's constantly skirting the edges of what is legal...and every bit of that is heartbreaking. We also found out exactly who Viola is and what exactly happened to her. Seriously, I want to sob and rage for what Henry/Sebastion went through during his young life. I want Mac to help heal him and show him that he's worthy of his love. Every single thing that Henry has done, he's done for Viola. 

Henry is such a good guy. He deserves Mac's love, but he can't see it. Henry silent mental voice kills me. He's full of such self-hatred for what he's had to do. My heart hurts...

But there was such a fun mix of twists and turns in this story. I loved how Henry went "undercover" and Mac's reaction to it. Sweet AND hot. And everything between them was that way in this book as Mac uncovers more and more layers of both Henry and Sebastion. 

And then there's the whole suspense line. In this one everything is ramping up big-time and I think we've just seen the tip of the iceberg for how everything ties together between these two men. 

I have no idea how it's all going to play out in book #3, but I am so ready to see Henry and Mac together in their HEA. I want Mac to realize just exactly how much Henry has been through and love him anyway. I know that's where the story is going and I cannot wait to read it. And yes, I'm predicting there will be tears...for both me and the characters. 

No comments: