Wednesday, February 25, 2015

One Wish by Robyn Carr

Title: One Wish
Author: Robyn Carr
My Rating: B

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: Thunder Point #7
Main Characters: Grace and Troy
Release Date: February 2015
Publisher: Harlequin
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
Grace Dillon was a champion figure skater until she moved to Thunder Point to escape the ruthless world of fame and competition. And though she's proud of the quiet, self-sufficient life she's created running a successful flower shop, she knows something is missing. Her life could use a little excitement. 

In a community where there are few eligible singles, high school teacher Troy Headly appoints himself Grace's fun coach. When he suggests a little companionship with no strings attached, Grace is eager to take him up on his offer, and the two enjoy…getting to know each other. 

But things get complicated when Grace's past catches up with her, and she knows that's not what Troy signed up for. Faced with losing her, Troy realizes Grace is more than just a friend with benefits. He's determined to help her fight for the life she always wished for but never believed she could have—and maybe they can find real love along the way.


My Review:
I really liked the set-up on this one. I felt so bad for Troy in the last book when he didn't win Iris's heart...although I loved her with her hero. But he's so good with Grace and I do like the way that Robyn Carr wrote their connection that began purely as a friendship and then suddenly grew to more...something that Grace has wanted for a while.

And then there's Grace and her whole backstory. LOVE the gold-medal figure skating history and it totally worked with her overzealous mother. I loved that story and how Grace has tried to separate herself from that world and persona, even when the skating is so much a part of her. The story with her mom, with her old coach, with her flower mentors in Portland...it all worked for me. 

I also really loved the flower shop setting with Grace's little loft up above. The programs that she's created and the creativity she shows through her designs...it all made for a great ambience in the background of the story. It also showed just how creative and industrious she is. She's good at this business thing despite what her mom thinks. 

I liked how Troy is an outdoor adventurer and their initial date on the coast was too much fun. I definitely had some giggles right alongside Grace. 

There's also a side story with Rae Ann and her pseudo niece Ginger. It gave a lot of depth to the story and I look forward to seeing where the author takes Ginger's story. I have a feeling she is an upcoming heroine in Thunder Point.

My only real complaint about this book is that there are moments when it seems like Robyn Carr's editors just let her slide with her writing because of who she is. The story will be moving along great and then she'll slip into three pages of passive story telling. It's painful to read, especially when I know how much better she can write. 
I received a complimentary copy  of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: