Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Edged Blade by J.C. Daniels



Title: Edged Blade
Author: J.C. Daniels
My Rating: A


Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Kit Colbana #4
Main Characters: Kit
Release Date: February 2015
Publisher: Shiloh Walker
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
In the year since her life was torn apart, Kit Colbana has slowly rebuilt herself. There’s a promise of hope in the relationship with the alpha of the local shapeshifters and she no longer comes screaming into wakefulness. Life’s not perfect but then again, when was it ever?

When her best friend Justin comes to her for help, there’s little question as to what her answer will be. Witches are disappearing and Justin won’t rest until he has answers. Soon, they learn that it’s not just witches who’ve gone missing, but vampires and shifters, too.


Unlikely alliances are forged as Kit and Justin found themselves drawn into a twisted web of lies and betrayal. As the clock counts down and the culprit behind recent disappearances is revealed, those Kit loves the most become the target of somebody who will kill to protect an ugly secret.
My Review:
I'll admit that when I sat down to read this book, I pulled the three previous books in this series off the shelf just to remind myself about where the characters were in the story arc. And suddenly I remember why this series is one of my all-time favorites. It's just so good. I swear no one writes emotion as well as J.C. Daniels...which is saying something because her main character, Kit, is NOT an emotional person. She keeps everything hidden and inside...and that's heartbreaking. I swear I ugly cry in all of these books at some point. (And I should have known better, but for this one, I was reading that part in the school pick-up line and losing it...seriously.)

Okay, on to the nitty-gritty about this book. Sigh...Damon and Kit. Finally some healing happening there. I love them together so much. He is so alpha and protective and she is so independent and strong. It's hard for them to mesh, but  they do...and it's so gorgeous the respect and love there is between them...even when it's hard. I love that and I love their relationship and all the layers to it. I never thought they would recover from book #2, but it's been beautiful (and heart-wrenching) to watch their journey back to one another. This book gets 5 *s for that alone. 

But there's so much more going on and I loved that just as well. There are non-humans disappearing and Justin is investigating. He pulls Kit into that investigation with him. There were some interesting twists in this one and one particular shocker at the end which will play out in other books. But...whoa, I did not see that coming. 

One of the things that makes this series so outstanding is the side characters and there were two in this one that rocked...
*Justin. My heart breaks for him. At the same time, I love him so much. He's an incredibly strong character and loves Kit. He harbors the same guilt that Damon does over what happened to her. There are some wonderfully poignant between the two of them in this one and I liked getting to see deeper into their relationship.
*Abraham. Wow. I like him and want to know more. He's a new character in this book and a vampire. There's definitely more to his story with just the reactions Kit has soul-deep to him. I'm intrigued and can't wait to see where that line goes.
*Doyle. I mention him here, just because I missed him in this book. Don't get me wrong, he was in it, but definitely just in the background. After the bombshell about him in the last book, I wanted and expected more with his character in this one. Something still to look forward to.

Note...while you could read these books as stand-alone (I think the author does a good job of explaining the backstory so you wouldn't be lost), I personally think you'd be doing yourself and the books a disservice by doing so. I highly recommend you start at the beginning and then devour them all. They are ALL excellent, amazing, heart-rending, gorgeous stories.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

1 comment:

Melanie Simmons (mlsimmons) said...

I agree that this is a series that needs to be started at the beginning because it is a wonderful series. I was so glad to see the healing finally taking place with Kit. I want to know more about Abraham too. I need the next book now.