Friday, February 13, 2015

Change of Hart by M.E. Carter

Title: Change of Hart
Author: M.E. Carter
My Rating: B

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: -
Main Characters: Jason and Addison
Release Date: December 2014
Publisher: -
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot



Story Overview:
My name is Jason Hart. 

As the best defensive lineman in the country, I eat, sleep and breathe football. And I like it that way. I’ve only got a few more years before I’ll have to retire, so expending energy on anything other than football seems like a waste of time.

That is, until I have a random meeting with a little boy who just lost his father. We have more in common than you might think and it creates an unlikely bond. As our friendship grows, so do my feelings for his mother.

I know Addison, as a recent widow, isn’t ready to date again. But I want to get to know her better, in spite of all her rejections.

Is it possible that I, a self-proclaimed bachelor, could be having a Change of Hart?

My Review:
Overall this was a book I enjoyed and now that I've finished and realize this is the author's first book, I'm even more impressed. 

I'm a sucker for a good sports themed book, but this one was different in several ways. First of all, the hero, Jason, meets the heroine's son before the heroine. Jaxon (yeah, I know...we will talk about the name issue in a moment) just lost his dad six months before and since Jason lost his father around the same time...he feels a kinship with the 7 yo. The second thing that's different is that Jason is a pro football player, but he plays a defensive lineman. Don't get me wrong...he's in great shape, but he's not some cut quarterback or receiver like most football themed books heroes are. I liked that little bit of unexpected.

Addison has issues left from her first husband. They had problems before he died and that's left her with a whole slew of confidence and trust issues. I ADORE how Jason handles that. He understands and respects that her first priority is her son and making sure that he doesn't get hurt. Jason was just truly one of those great guys that makes a great hero. He loves Jaxon and even without Addison, wants to be in the boy's life. When he screws up, he knows it and man's up about it.

I also really loved the relationship between Jason and his friends...Lindsey and Deuce. You can judge a guy by how he relates to his friends and although these are two very different friendships, they both are incredible. I enjoyed the football aspect of it. I enjoyed the romance aspect of it. I enjoyed the conflict with the publicity. It was a good read and I thought the author did a pretty good job overall with the story. There were just a couple of minor glitches that took me out of the story, but they were minor. 

BUT...let's talk names for a moment. Jason was the hero. Jaxon was the kid. This is such a HUGE no-no. OMG, seriously. I'm a speed reader which means I read a book/day along with writing several a year. I read super-fast. I have to. I don't have time for anything else. This book took me 3 days to read because those names are TOO SIMILAR! I had to slow down on this book and I can't tell you how many times I had to stop and re-read sentences in scenes where both names were present. It was bad. If you're writing a book. DO NOT DO THIS.

Okay, pet peeve rant over. But I did like the book. I'll definitely be watching for more from this author in the future.


No comments: